Goal posts, public land and the right to roam in Scotland

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat Goal posts, public land and the right to roam in Scotland

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Toxic Turtle
    Participant

Greetings all
    lookin for some info on what is probably the urban myth that goal post barriers are illegal in Scotland as they can be seen to prevent the right to roam. For the past 3 years we have regularly camped on Barrassie shore front. The first time we did so we checked with the local police due to public drinking laws and what we intended, 4 or 5 vans plus trailer tent parked as close to the beach and about 2/300 yards from houses, usually in some sort o circle and using a fire pit to prevent damage to the ground for 1 afternoon and night. We were assured that if that was the case we would not be on their priorities. We parked first at one point till the council decided to put stumps in the road and then further along on what was and still is a grassed parking area ensuring we left the place litter free, (assisted by the local refuse guys who would leave bin bags on their 6 am drive-by.) No complaints had ever been made except for possibly the loud snoring in the morning by the kite surfers who also used the area to park their vans tho we believe travellers had used the area at some point through last year.
    On January the 2nd i headed out for the pop the new year camping cherry only to find both the sign and the afore mentioned goal posts.
    We have explained in the past in other areas, either singly or in a small group when approached whilst camping about “right to roam” and we usually have a leaflet or 2 and have always been left to get on with it, even when using the vans to save bed n breakfast at some gig etc, however the goal post prevent not only ourselves but caravan tourers and people who use a high sided vehicle from using these areas which we have been told amounts to both blocking public access and is a form of discrimination.
    Apologies for the long winded story but hoping to get this cleared up as either urban myth or fact asap
    Cheers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. twinwebber16001972 February 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I SHARE YOUR PAIN ,AS A NOW X
    I SHARE YOUR PAIN ,AS A NOW X REGULAR ON THE SHORES OFF MANY LOCH”S 99%HAVE NOW LEGALLY BANNED CAMPING /VANS DUE TO THE MINORITY OF “WASTERS” WHO DID INSIST ON CREATE ING MERRY HELL AS “THEIR ENTERTAINMENT”

2. magic word
    You said the magic word…

‘travelers’…

or other descriptive terms I can’t use here…

3. buy a petrol still saw and
    buy a petrol still saw and …bobs your uncle…. 😉