Free camping with a folding camper?

Home Forum topic Camping Free camping with a folding camper?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rev8
    Participant

Hello all, wondering if you can help me with this one. we’re already tent campers and love camping, but Im looking for more freedom… love the idea of being able to drive anywhere and park up overnight (particularly beach car parks as not so many campsites right on the beach) ….but I can’t persuade the other half to invest in a camper van for various reasons like the cost and the safety rating of most camper vans. If we bought a folding camper would we have the same freedom as in a campervan? I think probably not, since it is not subtle- you are clearly sleeping there- but I wanted to check to see what the experts thought, since I am new to all of this! thanks…

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, First of all I’m not sure
    Hi, First of all I’m not sure what you mean about “safety rating of most camper vans”???
    Must admit you have stumped me with that one?
    Local authorities are getting more savvy day by day, especially in particularly nice beach areas and put height barriers at the entrance to their car parks.
    I know what I’d rather have and that is a camper van any day.
    If you have a folding trailor, you have to ensure it’s safety, and if you want to leave it, you need to have it well secured.
    A campervan is easier to make secure.
    I once hired a folder to take to the south of France, it was ok, but yes you have to pack it all up before moving off, whilst with a campervan, you just…..drive off.
    Converting a panel van to a camper is the cheapest option and you have it HOW YOU WANT IT. Cheers.

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, First of all I’m not sure
    Hi, First of all I’m not sure what you mean about “safety rating of most camper vans”???
    Must admit you have stumped me with that one?
    Local authorities are getting more savvy day by day, especially in particularly nice beach areas and put height barriers at the entrance to their car parks.
    I know what I’d rather have and that is a camper van any day.
    If you have a folding trailor, you have to ensure it’s safety, and if you want to leave it, you need to have it well secured.
    A campervan is easier to make secure.
    I once hired a folder to take to the south of France, it was ok, but yes you have to pack it all up before moving off, whilst with a campervan, you just…..drive off.
    Converting a panel van to a camper is the cheapest option and you have it HOW YOU WANT IT. Cheers.

Darren
    Keymaster

Campervans have better
    Campervans have better security than folding campers, motorhomes or caravans, as they have metal walls (which are more secure) and often better locks.
    They also offer the best freedom as you can jump in and drive.

Darren
    Keymaster

Campervans have better
    Campervans have better security than folding campers, motorhomes or caravans, as they have metal walls (which are more secure) and often better locks.
    They also offer the best freedom as you can jump in and drive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.