Floor Insulation?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Floor Insulation?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    stuart
    Participant

Is it worth insulating the floor of a conversion. I am converting a Citroen Dispatch van to as small camper. I plan to insulate the wall and roof and ply line the van.

Stuart

Darren
    Keymaster

If you intend using the
    If you intend using the vehicle a lot in cold weather then yes, it is worth doing. For for a summer use vehicle don’t worry about it. Just make sure there is at least 12mm of plywood or similar on the floor.

Darren
    Keymaster

If you intend using the
    If you intend using the vehicle a lot in cold weather then yes, it is worth doing. For for a summer use vehicle don’t worry about it. Just make sure there is at least 12mm of plywood or similar on the floor.

Darren
    Keymaster

If you intend using the

DAVEY
    Participant

Floor Insulation
    I’ve bought a load of cheap (£5 each) closed cell foam camping mats, the ones back packers often have strapped to the top of their rucksacks, to insulate the floor of My Renault Trafic.
    These will be laid over the existing plywood floor with lino over the top. 6 is enough to do the entire floor for £30. The mats are very effective insulation, if You rest your hand on them Your hand soon feels warm.

They give the floor a nice soft feel, almost like carpet but the lino is much easier to keep clean, which is useful if You are wild camping or staying on a muddy campsite.

Thermal carpet underlay would probably be cheaper if You can find anywhere that sells the stuff in the small quantity You would need.

DAVEY
    Participant

Floor Insulation
    I’ve bought a load of cheap (£5 each) closed cell foam camping mats, the ones back packers often have strapped to the top of their rucksacks, to insulate the floor of My Renault Trafic.
    These will be laid over the existing plywood floor with lino over the top. 6 is enough to do the entire floor for £30. The mats are very effective insulation, if You rest your hand on them Your hand soon feels warm.

They give the floor a nice soft feel, almost like carpet but the lino is much easier to keep clean, which is useful if You are wild camping or staying on a muddy campsite.

Thermal carpet underlay would probably be cheaper if You can find anywhere that sells the stuff in the small quantity You would need.

DAVEY
    Participant

Floor Insulation

mgroadster
    Participant

Problem with the cell foam
    Problem with the cell foam could be that it will retain moisture. Be it spilt or condensation etc. That could poss. be a precedent for rust problems at a later date?

mgroadster
    Participant

Problem with the cell foam could be that it will retain moisture. Be it spilt or condensation etc. That could poss. be a precedent for rust problems at a later date?

mgroadster
    Participant

mham05
    Participant

Go for the insulation, I wish
    Go for the insulation, I wish i had put some in before I started.
    When the temperatures drop below freezing its a bit chilly on the feet without any!!

mham05
    Participant

When the temperatures drop below freezing its a bit chilly on the feet without any!!

mham05
    Participant

Anonymous

I thought the whole point of
    I thought the whole point of closed cell foam was that it didn’t/couldn’t retain moisture!!

Anonymous

I thought the whole point of
    I thought the whole point of closed cell foam was that it didn’t/couldn’t retain moisture!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.