First timer needs advice

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van First timer needs advice

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Manxman
    Participant

Hi there – any advice greatly appreciated. We are a family of three – 2 adults and one 19 month old baby. We think that a camper van for weekends and longer breaks would be great, but have a few questions that long-time camper afficionados may be able to answer for me…

1. What sort of camper would people recommend? I kind of fancy a VW of some sort, but having looked at some of them, not really sure there would be enough room. At night when the little fella goes to bed, we need to be able to sit and relax. Not sure how that would work in a smaller camper. If anyone else with a similar type of family has any advice, all gratefully received…

2. Petrol or diesel?

3. Are roof beds a viable option?

Any advice appreciated!
    Cheers
    Dan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi Dan
    I think a VW might be

Hi Dan

I think a VW might be a little cramped if you want to be able to stay up when your baby is sleeping.

Maybe consider bigger vehicles such as Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit, etc.  Go to a local camper van dealer and have a look inside their vans.  Imagine what you would do if you where camping in them.

Diesel is a much cheaper way to run a heavy vehicle such as a camper van.  Petrol can cost twice as much.  But, diesel tends to make the vehicle slower.  So if you want performance, go for petrol, for economy go for diesel.

Roof beds (in VWs) are good for adults in summer.  But they are often a bit drafty, and will make the vehicle cooler during winter.  I wouldn’t put young children up there, but I’m guessing you were thinking of sleeping in the roof beds.

Hope this helps