Favourite Foods

Home Forum topic Camping Favourite Foods

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

Hello all.

I have been wondering, having spent some time on the web reading up on recipes that lots of guys and girls out there cook, whether in a van or tent, that just what is the most favourite meal to cook when out and about. So, just what do you all rate as the best meal for a trip out, and why? Feel free to mention any good meal you have had – then we can all enjoy it!

Can I start the ball rolling with a bannana still in the skin, split lenghtways and stuffed with a crumbled cadburys flake and whiskey, wrapped in foil and cooked until the whole thing is hot. I found this on a Ray Mears discussion site (?!) and it worked real well. Very good adult only desert! With booze!

Andy P.

Darren
    Keymaster

I love BBQs, especially when
    I love BBQs, especially when in sunny climates in my campervan. I love just about anything cooked on the BBQ, with salad, and sometimes a parcel of vegetables cooked in tin foil on the BBQ.

If I’ve spent a long day riding my bike or surfing then I love a hearty filling meal of curry or spaghetti bolognese, full of vegetables.

I do the hot banana trick, it’s especially good on the beach as a pudding to a BBQ, cooked in tin foil on the BBQ.

Darren
    Keymaster

I love BBQs, especially when in sunny climates in my campervan. I love just about anything cooked on the BBQ, with salad, and sometimes a parcel of vegetables cooked in tin foil on the BBQ.

If I’ve spent a long day riding my bike or surfing then I love a hearty filling meal of curry or spaghetti bolognese, full of vegetables.

I do the hot banana trick, it’s especially good on the beach as a pudding to a BBQ, cooked in tin foil on the BBQ.

Darren
    Keymaster

Darren
    Keymaster

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks Darren
    Thanks for that Darren. I agree the spaghetti bolognese or curry is lovely too, but last week camping and having suffered a wet night with the rain I had breakfast of bacon lardons fried in oil, then an egg/grated cheese mix with salt and pepper poured in and a nice big omelette for breakfast. That was a great start to the day and one I shall have again and again….it will go on my list af favourites.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks Darren
    Thanks for that Darren. I agree the spaghetti bolognese or curry is lovely too, but last week camping and having suffered a wet night with the rain I had breakfast of bacon lardons fried in oil, then an egg/grated cheese mix with salt and pepper poured in and a nice big omelette for breakfast. That was a great start to the day and one I shall have again and again….it will go on my list af favourites.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks Darren

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks Darren

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

I love camping under canvas.
    I love camping under canvas. It’s just my wife who doesn’t like it, but happy to sleep in the camper.
    My best memory of camping was on the Isle of Harris one calm and peaceful evening, A pan of homemade stew gently cooking on a primus and the sound of a small fishing boat chug chugging out to catch fish.

mgroadster
    Participant

I love camping under canvas. It’s just my wife who doesn’t like it, but happy to sleep in the camper.
    My best memory of camping was on the Isle of Harris one calm and peaceful evening, A pan of homemade stew gently cooking on a primus and the sound of a small fishing boat chug chugging out to catch fish.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Andy P
    Participant

Gotcha, MGR
    Yeah, I get that big time MGR.

It really is not just the meal, is it? It is also the surroundings, the place, the time and the atmosphere. Also, how you feel at the time. All these things add up to turn an average or good meal into a great one. Let me place a bet and say my omelette and your homemade stew have never tasted better since? Oh, and yes, I have made the same dish at home and it is not so good. I reckon that means next trip out, a new dish and new dreams…….

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Gotcha, MGR
    Yeah, I get that big time MGR.

It really is not just the meal, is it? It is also the surroundings, the place, the time and the atmosphere. Also, how you feel at the time. All these things add up to turn an average or good meal into a great one. Let me place a bet and say my omelette and your homemade stew have never tasted better since? Oh, and yes, I have made the same dish at home and it is not so good. I reckon that means next trip out, a new dish and new dreams…….

Andy P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.