Essential Minimum Kit

Home Forum topic Camping Essential Minimum Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    mgroadster
    Participant

A whistle is standard kit in
    A whistle is standard kit in all climbers/Hikers kit.(I always took one along with compass and other eseentials when going up Skidaw/Helvelyn and others).
    A mobile ph. these days id very handy…..if you can get a signal in the wilds of the countryside.

mgroadster
    Participant

A whistle is standard kit in all climbers/Hikers kit.(I always took one along with compass and other eseentials when going up Skidaw/Helvelyn and others).
    A mobile ph. these days id very handy…..if you can get a signal in the wilds of the countryside.

mgroadster
    Participant

Andy P
    Participant

So what is in your pack
    So what did you all carry aroung in your back pack or ruck sack when you were out hiking? I reckon some kind of mirror to go along with the whistle and at the minimum one of those silver foil emergency ponchos and a set of dry clothes. A little food and water too, compass and map of the area, but is there anything else I should have when out hiking for a weekend? Thanks,

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

So what is in your pack
    So what did you all carry aroung in your back pack or ruck sack when you were out hiking? I reckon some kind of mirror to go along with the whistle and at the minimum one of those silver foil emergency ponchos and a set of dry clothes. A little food and water too, compass and map of the area, but is there anything else I should have when out hiking for a weekend? Thanks,

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

So what is in your pack

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

So what is in your pack

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, If you are entering
    Hi, If you are entering hills/mountains you are not familiar with………….Good boots,
    A good ordnance survey map along with a compass and the knowledge of how to read them, Whistle,
    Energy food including Chocolate/Kendal mint cake. Water, Bivvy tent (Handy if you are staying out all night and compact to carry) dry clothes change, matches/lighter, small tilly stove. billy set.Water etc.
    Always let someone know where you are planning on going…Pubs are good for that, as you can call in at the end for a pint. No show, and the landlord reports it.
    We were climbing Helvelyn one Easter when a nasty Blizzard moved in. We were fully kitted out and waited for it to end.

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, If you are entering
    Hi, If you are entering hills/mountains you are not familiar with………….Good boots,
    A good ordnance survey map along with a compass and the knowledge of how to read them, Whistle,
    Energy food including Chocolate/Kendal mint cake. Water, Bivvy tent (Handy if you are staying out all night and compact to carry) dry clothes change, matches/lighter, small tilly stove. billy set.Water etc.
    Always let someone know where you are planning on going…Pubs are good for that, as you can call in at the end for a pint. No show, and the landlord reports it.
    We were climbing Helvelyn one Easter when a nasty Blizzard moved in. We were fully kitted out and waited for it to end.

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, If you are entering

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, If you are entering

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks again, MGR
    It sounds to me very much like riding motocross in a race – you dress for the crash, not the ride. Were I to dress for the ride, it would be shorts and T shirt, not full body armour, boots, hard hat, goggles, gloves and the uncomfortable cod piece. Oh, and yes, before anyone asks, the cod piece did save “little andrew” from a bad accident, and I still have a scar in a private place to prove it! Not one of my best rides. Cost me a new set of handlebars for my bike too………

So, thank you MGR. I am picking up lots of tips from those who have been there, seen it and done it on this site.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks again, MGR
    It sounds to me very much like riding motocross in a race – you dress for the crash, not the ride. Were I to dress for the ride, it would be shorts and T shirt, not full body armour, boots, hard hat, goggles, gloves and the uncomfortable cod piece. Oh, and yes, before anyone asks, the cod piece did save “little andrew” from a bad accident, and I still have a scar in a private place to prove it! Not one of my best rides. Cost me a new set of handlebars for my bike too………

So, thank you MGR. I am picking up lots of tips from those who have been there, seen it and done it on this site.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks again, MGR

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks again, MGR

Andy P.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.