Essential Minimum Kit

Home Forum topic Camping Essential Minimum Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Andy P
    Participant

Hiya all,

Just as a point of interest, with my backpack all ready to be loaded up and the boot of the car empty and waiting, just what would you guys consider the best, most essential, the most luxurious and jeez-glad-I-brought-that-along-in-a-disaster camping equipment? OK, I suppose we could start with a tent, but is it needed at a stretch in the summer when maybe a good tarp and some rope would do?

Just how do you decide what to pack and when, and does the site or season affect the choices we make?

I would be interested to hear what kit any fellow campers consider a minimum….

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

When I’ve gone into the
    When I’ve gone into the mountains hiking…As a bare minimum..A primus stove, a saucepan, matches/lighter and some easy to cook food.
    cutlery/cup/tea/coffee/milk/(you can boil the water in the saucepan if you haven’t got a kettle.)
    Warm sleeping bag/pillow.
    Change of clothes in case you get soaked doing something and it’s p*ssing down.
    toothbrush/paste.
    You can then build around that.

mgroadster
    Participant

When I’ve gone into the
    When I’ve gone into the mountains hiking…As a bare minimum..A primus stove, a saucepan, matches/lighter and some easy to cook food.
    cutlery/cup/tea/coffee/milk/(you can boil the water in the saucepan if you haven’t got a kettle.)
    toothbrush/paste.

mgroadster
    Participant

When I’ve gone into the
    toothbrush/paste.

mgroadster
    Participant

When I’ve gone into the
    toothbrush/paste.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, MGR
    Thanks for the comments, MGR.

I did have some little thought of carrying dried food for light weight, the type where you just add water and go. However, I see in the shops lots of these meals-in-a-tin type of stuff, some even in a tin with a rip-top lid like a big beer can.

Now, is this odd? Why not carry just the tins and cutlery, forget the dried food and the saucepan and heat up the tins over the fire? Then, a rinsed out tin becomes a cup or pan or some such the next day. Has anyone tried this out or have I been watching too many post apocalypse scifi films lately?

May the force be with you……;)

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, MGR

I did have some little thought of carrying dried food for light weight, the type where you just add water and go. However, I see in the shops lots of these meals-in-a-tin type of stuff, some even in a tin with a rip-top lid like a big beer can.

Now, is this odd? Why not carry just the tins and cutlery, forget the dried food and the saucepan and heat up the tins over the fire? Then, a rinsed out tin becomes a cup or pan or some such the next day. Has anyone tried this out or have I been watching too many post apocalypse scifi films lately?

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, MGR

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Thanks, MGR

Andy P.

mgroadster
    Participant

Nothing wrong in
    Nothing wrong in that…..providing you have the means to pick up the tin when it’s very very hot.
    You can get a small billy set from Wilkinsons cheaply (if you have one near you).
    The dried food I can vouch…tastes like sh*t.

mgroadster
    Participant

Nothing wrong in
    Nothing wrong in that…..providing you have the means to pick up the tin when it’s very very hot.
    You can get a small billy set from Wilkinsons cheaply (if you have one near you).

mgroadster
    Participant

Nothing wrong in

mgroadster
    Participant

Nothing wrong in

Andy P
    Participant

Silly Boy
    What a fool, I had not even thought of how to pick up the hot tin. In fact, thinking about it now, I had not even thought of a thick cloth, pliers or anything to hold a hot tin. That could have ruined an otherwise great meal, freshly heated up……

Thanks for that, MGR. I shall hunt down the billy set at wilkinsons.

Andy P.

Andy P
    Participant

Silly Boy
    What a fool, I had not even thought of how to pick up the hot tin. In fact, thinking about it now, I had not even thought of a thick cloth, pliers or anything to hold a hot tin. That could have ruined an otherwise great meal, freshly heated up……

Thanks for that, MGR. I shall hunt down the billy set at wilkinsons.

Andy P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.