Electrics noob

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Electrics noob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scamp
    Participant

Hey all new here. Just wondered if someone could check my math here make sure I’ve got this figured out right, because the answer I came to seems too good to be true.

So using a 110 amp hour battery as an example with a discharge of 80% gives us and actual amp hour-age of 88%? I think that’s right so far, please correct me if I’m wrong!

So my pc is 1200 watts using ohms law that tells me it’s will draw 5 amps (per hour?)

So an 88amp hour battery (110 taking into account 80% discharge) would run my PC for around 17.5 hours? I did that in my head so I may be off slightly but…. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks in advance for any clarification! I’ve not done electrics like that since college so a lamans answer would be amazing if at all possible lol, thanks again, Brett.

Darren

Hi Brett
    Hi Brett

Your sums are a little off.
    80% of 110ah is 88ah.
    We need watts though, so (12 x 88) = 1056 watt hours

Your PC, thats 5 amps at 240v, not 12v.
    But, we can just use watts.

So 1056 into 1200 = 0.88. Less than an hour.

1200 watts is a lot of power to run from a leisure battery.
    Laptops are a much better choice for leisure battery use.
    My laptop charge is 75 watts, and thats probably when charging from flat.

Darren

Hi Brett
    Hi Brett

Your sums are a little off.
    80% of 110ah is 88ah.
    We need watts though, so (12 x 88) = 1056 watt hours

Your PC, thats 5 amps at 240v, not 12v.
    But, we can just use watts.

So 1056 into 1200 = 0.88. Less than an hour.

1200 watts is a lot of power to run from a leisure battery.
    Laptops are a much better choice for leisure battery use.
    My laptop charge is 75 watts, and thats probably when charging from flat.

Scamp
    Participant

Ah thanks for the
    Ah thanks for the clarification, I knew 17.5 hour was too good to be true! Haha.
    Well at least now I can work out the rest of the electrical equipment properly.
    So, if I want to run the PC 24 hours, that would be about 28 linked in parallel haha, or, 20 linked in series, for my original 17.5 hours….. Yeah, I’m getting a laptop lol.
    Thanks again.

Scamp
    Participant

Ah thanks for the
    Ah thanks for the clarification, I knew 17.5 hour was too good to be true! Haha.
    Well at least now I can work out the rest of the electrical equipment properly.
    So, if I want to run the PC 24 hours, that would be about 28 linked in parallel haha, or, 20 linked in series, for my original 17.5 hours….. Yeah, I’m getting a laptop lol.
    Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.