eco-friendly loo

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions eco-friendly loo

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    claratuckbones
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about creating an eco-friendly toilet for my camper. The Thetford porta potti seems like the right sort of style, but at times I don’t need the loo for poos, I’d prefer to avoid using chemicals.

I was thinking about building a straw bale toilet along these lines: http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/garden/ga021_building_a_straw_bale_composting_toilet.htm
    but in such a small space I reckon this would stink. Besides, it couldn’t easily be converted into a number-two loo if the need arose!

So I’m now wondering whether I could simply put straw in the waste chamber of a Thetford. Unlike a standard strawbale loo the waste would be held in a separate chamber. Would that work?

Then, for wees only, I could simply empty the waste on to the compost heap… and switch to the chemical option when necessary. I wonder how easy it would be to empty the chamber when it’s full of straw and wee.

I don’t suppose anyone has tried this? Is there a particular model of porta potti that would work well for this purpose? Do any of you have another eco-friendly solution?

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH if I just wanted a piss
    TBH if I just wanted a piss and didn’t have a porta potti, I’d piss on the grass outside without creating a whattle and daub factory in me camper van that’ll stink to high heaven.

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH if I just wanted a piss and didn’t have a porta potti, I’d piss on the grass outside without creating a whattle and daub factory in me camper van that’ll stink to high heaven.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.