Does Vehicle Weight Limit Increase When Camper

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Does Vehicle Weight Limit Increase When Camper

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Long_Jon
    Participant

Hello. I’m currently looking into getting a camper by either buying ready done camper or getting a Van and converting it myself. Any advice is welcome but that’s not the purpose of this post. My query is this, I’ve got a car licence obtained after 1991 which allows me to drive up to 3.5tonne. But I’ve heard rumor that if listed as a camper that weight limit increases. Does anyone know, firstly if this is true, and secondly if so what are the specifics? What would the max weight be and/or where can I find out more details on this? Any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Nice to hear from you.
    If registered as a camper van (or Motorcaravan, as the DVLA list it) the maximum allowed weight (MAM) you can drive stays the same. So it’s the same for a campervan as it is for a van, 3.5 tonnes.
    Somethings change, such as the speed limits of the vehicle (60mph on an A road, rather than 50mph). And the campervan has a class IV MOT rather than class VII, which is less stringent.

There’s more info here;
    https://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Nice to hear from you.
    If registered as a camper van (or Motorcaravan, as the DVLA list it) the maximum allowed weight (MAM) you can drive stays the same. So it’s the same for a campervan as it is for a van, 3.5 tonnes.
    Somethings change, such as the speed limits of the vehicle (60mph on an A road, rather than 50mph). And the campervan has a class IV MOT rather than class VII, which is less stringent.

There’s more info here;
    https://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.