Do I need two house batteries for a minimal amount of appliances?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Do I need two house batteries for a minimal amount of appliances?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    patgt
    Participant

Hello,
    I am looking to install a roof vent fan and three LED lights that I’ll run off of a house battery system. I am also considering throwing in a 12V socket. I am not planning on installing an inverter for any AC power. My question is with so few appliances, do I need two 12V batteries in line? Can I get away with one? Thanks!

Anonymous

It depends how long you plan
    It depends how long you plan to be ‘off grid’. With the setup you describe, one ‘leisure, or house’ battery should keep you going for a few days. If you want to do the maths, work out how much power your lights, and other appliances will use…….multiply it by how many hours you anticipate you will use them per day, that will give you a starting point. Assume that any batteries will provide 1/2 their rated power (so an 80Ah battery will safely give you 40Ah of power without damaging it between recharges), then you can decide how many batteries you will need.
    You can always start with one battery, and if it’s not enough, then add a second (or third if needed!)

Anonymous

It depends how long you plan
    It depends how long you plan to be ‘off grid’. With the setup you describe, one ‘leisure, or house’ battery should keep you going for a few days. If you want to do the maths, work out how much power your lights, and other appliances will use…….multiply it by how many hours you anticipate you will use them per day, that will give you a starting point. Assume that any batteries will provide 1/2 their rated power (so an 80Ah battery will safely give you 40Ah of power without damaging it between recharges), then you can decide how many batteries you will need.
    You can always start with one battery, and if it’s not enough, then add a second (or third if needed!)

Norman

House batteries
    Hi, If you have a 12volt system do not wire two 12v batteries in series or you will end up with 24volts! Wire them in parallel. I have two 110Ah batteries which are switchable and I have fitted a split charge relay so that the batteries can be charged by the vehicle alternator. If I run any appliances from my vehicle battery I use a voltage protector which simply plugs in the cigarette lighter socket then you plug the appliance in to it. the protector will not let the battery go flat so you always have enough power to start in the morning. My system seems to work well and I am never without electric power. Good luck Norman

Norman

House batteries
    Hi, If you have a 12volt system do not wire two 12v batteries in series or you will end up with 24volts! Wire them in parallel. I have two 110Ah batteries which are switchable and I have fitted a split charge relay so that the batteries can be charged by the vehicle alternator. If I run any appliances from my vehicle battery I use a voltage protector which simply plugs in the cigarette lighter socket then you plug the appliance in to it. the protector will not let the battery go flat so you always have enough power to start in the morning. My system seems to work well and I am never without electric power. Good luck Norman

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.