Converting Van to carry Motorbike

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Converting Van to carry Motorbike

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Trotty
    Participant

Need some advice on converting a Iveco the best ways or any help it needs to carry a motorbike at the rear. Have a sleeping area and kitchen. Any pictures or suggestions I would be greatfull.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. I arranged the bed in the
    I arranged the bed in the back of my LT35 to fold into a sofa against the left wall. Wit the kitchen and cupboards arranged (like a classic VW) along the right side, this leaves a gangway down the middle easily big enough to push my Vespa in. In fact the van is long enough to get TWO in. With wheel chocks and tie straps onto the vans side struts, the jobs a good un

2. Converting Van to carry Motorbike
    have a look on ebay for ideas…always plenty coming for sale with nice pics and discriptions

3. surely a bike is within payload
    Trotty needs to clarify whether he’s putting the bike in the van, or custom building an external bike carrier on the outside of the rear doors.

If it’s inside the van, a motorbike weighing say, 250kg (and that’s a big bike) must be well within the payload of an Iveco?
    I’d say you need to securely mount in loops for tie down ratchet straps. The floor is too thin, you’d need to either plate the floor to strengthen it, or find a really solid part of chassis to mount the tie down loop to.
    I’ve seen nice conversions where a custom ramp and ‘on board bike garage’ is built. Often these are motocross racers who have large campervans with bike storage as a separate compartment.

1. bikes in campers
      Im in the process of converting a welfare bus into a camper with room for my bike, I will be using the fitted wheelchair lift to load it through the rear doors and am designing the interior with room for it to fit,

4. The problem with carrying
    The problem with carrying bikes on the backs of vehicles is the strain it puts on the rear springs. If you have a twin wheeler, you may be okay, but a single wheeler will almost need some sort of suspension assistance like an adjustable semi air suspension kit. If your vehicles rear end is low, it’ll attract the wrong sort of attention, even if its not over-loaded.

Steve