Converting a minibus and the removal of seats

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Converting a minibus and the removal of seats

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mattg07
    Participant

Hi all,

Looking at buying an Ldv convoy minibus. Seems like a good base to convert with it being Lwb, a high roof and plenty of windows.

I’ve spotted one with 17 seats, my thought would be to leave just six in, remove the other 12 to create the space for the living area.

Just wondered if anyone has done anything similar, or even if they know the requirements needed in terms of the legalities with driving license required, what to put on V5 and insurance purposes…?

Looking forward to some advice 🙂
    Matt

nemo

Hi Mattg07,
    I m doing the same think whith my vivaro 9 seater.
    I hava got an email direct from the DVLA for the requirements and information.
    I will send you the conplete email soon

nemo

Hi Mattg07,
    I m doing the same think whith my vivaro 9 seater.
    I hava got an email direct from the DVLA for the requirements and information.
    I will send you the conplete email soon

nemo

The vehicle is required to display the following characteristics in order to meet the interpretation of “Motor Caravan”:-

Seats and a Table

integral part of vehicle living accommodation area, (mounted independently of other items)
    table capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
    table mounting arrangement secured is a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded) although table may be detachable
    seats secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side-wall
    seats secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)

Sleeping Accommodation

integral part of vehicle living accommodation area
    either beds or beds converted from seats (to form a mattress)
    secured as a permanent feature, (with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall, (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)

Cooking Facilities

integral part of vehicle living accommodation, (mounted independently of other items)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
    secured as a permanent feature, (bodied, riveted, screwed or welded)
    minimum of two ring cooking facility or microwave equipped in either case with fuel/power source

Storage Facilities

cupboard / Locker
    integral part of vehicle living accommodation (mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooker)
    secured as a permanent feature (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)

It may help if I explain that if you make any changes to your vehicle you will need to update your V5C Registration Certificate.

You will need to notify us about any of the following changes to your vehicle:

• colour

• engine

• cylinder capacity

• fuel type (propulsion)

• replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell

• seating capacity

• weight of a goods vehicle

The V5C Registration Certificate must be filled in with the new information on section 7 and signed the declaration in section 8 as the Registered Keeper.

As the changes do not affect your vehicle tax, you will need to send the V5C and any additional documentation to:

DVLA

Swansea

SA99 1BA

An updated V5C will be returned within 4 weeks.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form

nemo

The vehicle is required to display the following characteristics in order to meet the interpretation of “Motor Caravan”:-

Seats and a Table

integral part of vehicle living accommodation area, (mounted independently of other items)
    table capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
    table mounting arrangement secured is a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded) although table may be detachable
    seats secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side-wall
    seats secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)

Sleeping Accommodation

integral part of vehicle living accommodation area
    either beds or beds converted from seats (to form a mattress)
    secured as a permanent feature, (with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall, (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)

Cooking Facilities

integral part of vehicle living accommodation, (mounted independently of other items)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
    secured as a permanent feature, (bodied, riveted, screwed or welded)
    minimum of two ring cooking facility or microwave equipped in either case with fuel/power source

Storage Facilities

cupboard / Locker
    integral part of vehicle living accommodation (mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooker)
    secured as a permanent feature (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)

It may help if I explain that if you make any changes to your vehicle you will need to update your V5C Registration Certificate.

You will need to notify us about any of the following changes to your vehicle:

• colour

• engine

• cylinder capacity

• fuel type (propulsion)

• replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell

• seating capacity

• weight of a goods vehicle

The V5C Registration Certificate must be filled in with the new information on section 7 and signed the declaration in section 8 as the Registered Keeper.

As the changes do not affect your vehicle tax, you will need to send the V5C and any additional documentation to:

DVLA

Swansea

SA99 1BA

An updated V5C will be returned within 4 weeks.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.