Consumer unit

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Consumer unit

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    suzy32
    Participant

I have recently bought a converted camper van which I am going to give a make over, next to the leisure battery it has a consumer unit and I’m not sure which way the switches need to be. For example when it’s not being used as a camper should it be switched off. The reason I ask is because something is draining the main battery.

Darren
    Keymaster

Is the consumer unit for main 240v hookup?
    If so it probably only does something once the hook uk cable is connected.
    Is there a fuse box for the leisure battery?
    You could put a multimeter on the battery and pull the fuses to see which one makes the voltage go up/down.
    Not exact but a good start.

Alexshumal
    Participant

You can check on your own:

circuit breakers;
    alternator belt tension;
    voltage regulator;
    condition of electrical wiring;
    battery;
    generator;
    current loss.
    Defective assemblies and parts should be replaced with new ones.

Tips to avoid issues that lead to battery discharge:

When connecting car heaters to the on-board network, especially a refrigerator or air conditioner, light sources, and other energy consumers, make sure that a generator has sufficient power reserve to supply additional devices.
    When using a van for infrequent trips over short distances, a battery does not have time to recharge from a generator and requires periodic recharging with an external charger.
    The most commonplace reasons for discharging are sidelights that are not turned off or an incorrectly connected alarm system.
    Do not use fuses with a larger rating than specified in the vehicle manual.
    Protect the terminals from oxidation by special means to avoid self-discharge through the conductive layer of surface contamination.
    When installing a new battery, be sure to completely remove the protective plastic film; dust and dirt accumulate under it.
    If you intend not to use the car for a long time, do not leave the battery connected to the on-board network in order to avoid a complete discharge. This can lead to a significant loss of its capacity due to accelerated sulfation of the plates.
    At least once a year, preferably before the onset of cold weather, recharge the battery with a mains charger in desulfation mode (if allowed in the manual), control the tension of the alternator belt, and check the on-board network for leaks.
    Take into account the peculiarities of using and storing the battery in the winter.

To reduce power consumption, instead of an electrical fridge you can a gas one. To cool your van in summer hot you can use alternative methods instead of A/C. ht tps://evapolar.com/blog/portable-ac-for-car-van-and-rv/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.