Charging leisure battery (old school)

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Charging leisure battery (old school)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge
    A battery (any 12volt battery, including leisure) is considered fully charged at 12.6 volts at rest. At a temperature of between 5 to 20c. Any lower and it is in a ‘discharge’ state.
    No vehicle, or for that matter any charger, can recharge to more than 90 to 95% charge outside of lab conditions.
    Check your battery after charging and it will show anything from 12.6 to 14 volts. However within a short time, about 15 mins usually does it, it will settle to its natural state. This state will vary dependent on age, temperature, physical condition.
    Then you will have an accurate reading. 12.6 is perfect, 12.2 is acceptable.
    In the systems describe above the vehicle system will recharge or ‘top up’ the battery to it’s natural state.
    Any vehicle battery should be charged at 10% of it’s ampere hour rating, NOT it’s CCA rating which is different.
    And if cold weather use is a concern you should fit a larger CCA rated battery than standard to allow for amperage drop in sub zero temperatures.
    e.g your vehicle may have a 300CCA battery. Which means it will provide 300 amps for 30 secs at 0.c But in sub zero temperatures this can drop to as little as 200 amps for the same 30 secs.
    For sub zero use we always recommended going up by 50% when replacing the battery. 300 to 450, 500 to 750 etc. This will provide the required power when you need it most without putting undue strain on the vehicle system.

And carry jump leads!

KISS will get you out of trouble… can be fixed with chewing gum and knicker elastic.. and is cheaper!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge
    A battery (any 12volt battery, including leisure) is considered fully charged at 12.6 volts at rest. At a temperature of between 5 to 20c. Any lower and it is in a ‘discharge’ state.
    No vehicle, or for that matter any charger, can recharge to more than 90 to 95% charge outside of lab conditions.
    Check your battery after charging and it will show anything from 12.6 to 14 volts. However within a short time, about 15 mins usually does it, it will settle to its natural state. This state will vary dependent on age, temperature, physical condition.
    In the systems describe above the vehicle system will recharge or ‘top up’ the battery to it’s natural state.
    Any vehicle battery should be charged at 10% of it’s ampere hour rating, NOT it’s CCA rating which is different.
    And if cold weather use is a concern you should fit a larger CCA rated battery than standard to allow for amperage drop in sub zero temperatures.
    e.g your vehicle may have a 300CCA battery. Which means it will provide 300 amps for 30 secs at 0.c But in sub zero temperatures this can drop to as little as 200 amps for the same 30 secs.
    For sub zero use we always recommended going up by 50% when replacing the battery. 300 to 450, 500 to 750 etc. This will provide the required power when you need it most without putting undue strain on the vehicle system.

And carry jump leads!

KISS will get you out of trouble… can be fixed with chewing gum and knicker elastic.. and is cheaper!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

Flying Scotsman
    Participant

charge

And carry jump leads!

kitesurfer
    Participant

12.73v for my batteries is
    12.73v for my batteries is the fully charged state based on the infomation supplied by the manufacturers not 12.6v and this is what i see every morning after the batteries have been at rest overnight for 12hours. Prior to installing the system on this paricular van i was getting a reading of 12.35 which is just below 70% charge for my batteries. I personally was quite dubious about the claims made about standard voltage regulation and how it was just adequate in terms of the amount of charge potential it has, so i have regulary checked it.
    Fortunately cold weather is not a concern of mine as i never have problems starting in temps down to as low -25 even with the battery that comes with the van. However i will admit that i do not know what the CCA rating is for my starter battery and i have strangely enough never asked any of the people i have jump started in the alps what their cca rating is either. I will however check mine later as it possible this might be why it’s so easy to start in the coldest of temps.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

12.73v for my batteries is the fully charged state based on the infomation supplied by the manufacturers not 12.6v and this is what i see every morning after the batteries have been at rest overnight for 12hours. Prior to installing the system on this paricular van i was getting a reading of 12.35 which is just below 70% charge for my batteries. I personally was quite dubious about the claims made about standard voltage regulation and how it was just adequate in terms of the amount of charge potential it has, so i have regulary checked it.
    Fortunately cold weather is not a concern of mine as i never have problems starting in temps down to as low -25 even with the battery that comes with the van. However i will admit that i do not know what the CCA rating is for my starter battery and i have strangely enough never asked any of the people i have jump started in the alps what their cca rating is either. I will however check mine later as it possible this might be why it’s so easy to start in the coldest of temps.

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

kitesurfer
    Participant

KS

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.