Carpet Lining a van

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Carpet Lining a van

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rungidung
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve just lined a van with 6mm ply ready for carpeting with stretchy lining carpet & was wondering if it would be a good idea to seal the ply with PVA before using the high temperature glue to fix the carpet. Also the van has a factory fitted steel bulkhead that I also want to carpet & was wondering if that would benefit from a coat of PVA to help the carpet grip better as it has lots of curves in it?

Many thanks

Clive

DAVEY
    Participant

PVA
    PVA on the wood to seal it sounds like a good idea as it will also help keep the damp out, (condensation can be a problem in any van and find it’s way in to the ply causing it to delaminate)
    Not sure how the high temperature glue will react with the PVA though, I’d try it on 1 panel before doing the whole van.

Assuming the bulkhead is painted steel PVA will not stick to this very well as it is not porous.
    Better to clean the paintwork thoroughly using a sponge and hot soapy water then dry with paper towel or kitchen roll to remove any greasy finger marks etc. It’s surprising how much grime there can be on the inside of a van!
    This is how I prepared my van before sticking the insulation (Airtec foil faced bubble wrap) using spray on carpet adhesive and it stuck really well.

Davey.

DAVEY
    Participant

PVA
    PVA on the wood to seal it sounds like a good idea as it will also help keep the damp out, (condensation can be a problem in any van and find it’s way in to the ply causing it to delaminate)
    Not sure how the high temperature glue will react with the PVA though, I’d try it on 1 panel before doing the whole van.

Assuming the bulkhead is painted steel PVA will not stick to this very well as it is not porous.
    Better to clean the paintwork thoroughly using a sponge and hot soapy water then dry with paper towel or kitchen roll to remove any greasy finger marks etc. It’s surprising how much grime there can be on the inside of a van!
    This is how I prepared my van before sticking the insulation (Airtec foil faced bubble wrap) using spray on carpet adhesive and it stuck really well.

Davey.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.