Can somebody check my wiring?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Can somebody check my wiring?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eddhewett
    Participant

Hi there,

New member here with a new camper conversion project. 2003 Ford Transit Jumbo Hi Top from Force Vans. Ex Police CCTV van. It came complete with Eberspacher, mast scene lights, AC, A Waeco fridge (gas/12/240v), two small inverters (untested), interior lighting, exterior lighting, hookup super eject socket and cable, Euro Charger II and two dead 80ah silver calcium Ford leisure batteries.

To start I have taken down all the panels from the walls (cant get the ceiling panel down as it is glued in place but I think I can work around this. Don’t want to disturb it too much as they have done a really nice job of carpet lining it and fitting roof fans and lights). I took the panels down so I could access the wiring of which there is loads of excess where the Police decommissioned the van and took equipment out by just cutting wires. Also whilst the panels are down I will Dynax S50 the cavities and add Superfoil SFBA 2/1 insulation to the already present loft style insulation.

Anyway tonight I have been thinking about wiring and batteries (I am no electrician by any means). After a little research I am thinking a Varta 110Ah battery might be the best bet but this info was from 3 years ago and I am unsure whether to get 1 or 2 to replace my dead batteries. I am also thinking of adding solar power as I will be leaving the van for 10 days or so at a time and was thinking of something along the lines of a 100w panel but am unsure if I might need more (2x100w or 1x150w?). I will mostly be living in my van for 2 days every 9-12 days but sometimes may use it for holidays for longer (a week/2 weeks). Whilst living in it I will probably use my laptop for a couple of hours and a mini 12v projector for a couple hours along with lights and gadget charging (phone, camera).

So firstly any tips on buying a battery, is a Varta 110Ah still top dog? do I need 1 or 2? Amazon seems to do a good deal.

Secondly, for my usage what do you think I should get in terms of solar, 1x100w? 2x100w? 1x150w? and does anyone know a cheap and reliable place to get them?

Thirdly I knocked together a wiring diagram and was wondering if anyone could take a look and check it out for me. I don’t know what fuse size to put in for the projector (as I don’t own it yet) and the rest are just what I have seen on others diagrams so if anyone spots fuse amp errors please let me know.
    (the plain lines are positive/red, the dotted lines are negative/black, the three lines are standard positive/neutral/earth and the two lines by the gas are just to signify pipes (thought I would include gas as its the third power source for the fridge) Oh and I haven’t left the Eberspacher out that is just wired to the Engine battery at the moment tho I might change that and add it off the 12v fuse box/switch board.

I guess one more question I have is currently the van is set up with negative return via chassis/earth but I would feel more comfortable with a twin wire system as I am a Sailor and so have a fear of electrolysis. Is electrolysis a problem on vans? I am putting the positive wire in after all so why not run the other half with it? I would just run it back alongside the positive to the negative terminal on the battery right?

Cheers,

Edd Hewett

Darren

Hi Edd
    Hi Edd

Nice to hear about your conversion.

Based on your power usage, I would recommending getting 2 x 110 ah batteries, as you’ll be using a fridge as well as laptop, etc. You don’t necessarily need the expensive Varta batteries. I’ve used cheaper (£60) batteries with great success.

Ensure you have a split charge relay, that is charging the leisure batteries from the engine, when it is running. This is a very important thing to have, to ensure your batteries are always full when you arrive at a location.

For 2 days of camping you don’t need to have solar power. The split charge relay, and 2 batteries will be fine for 2 days of use. You can always add solar afterwards if you need it.
    If you do want to add solar panels, eBay is the best place to buy cheap panels. Some great deals on there. I would get 1 single panel, big enough to fit on your roof.

If you are going to be doing longer camping, without moving the vehicle, then a solar panel might be a good idea. Or you could fit a 240v hookup and battery charger if your holidays will be on campsites.

Your wiring diagram looks fine. I can see you are adding a split charge relay and hookup. I tend to run negative wires to all appliances, to ensure the best connection possible, especially over time.

Darren

Hi Edd
    Hi Edd

Nice to hear about your conversion.

Based on your power usage, I would recommending getting 2 x 110 ah batteries, as you’ll be using a fridge as well as laptop, etc. You don’t necessarily need the expensive Varta batteries. I’ve used cheaper (£60) batteries with great success.

Ensure you have a split charge relay, that is charging the leisure batteries from the engine, when it is running. This is a very important thing to have, to ensure your batteries are always full when you arrive at a location.

For 2 days of camping you don’t need to have solar power. The split charge relay, and 2 batteries will be fine for 2 days of use. You can always add solar afterwards if you need it.
    If you do want to add solar panels, eBay is the best place to buy cheap panels. Some great deals on there. I would get 1 single panel, big enough to fit on your roof.

If you are going to be doing longer camping, without moving the vehicle, then a solar panel might be a good idea. Or you could fit a 240v hookup and battery charger if your holidays will be on campsites.

Your wiring diagram looks fine. I can see you are adding a split charge relay and hookup. I tend to run negative wires to all appliances, to ensure the best connection possible, especially over time.

eddhewett
    Participant

Cheers Darren,
    Cheers Darren,

The 240v socket and battery charger is already fitted (when I bought the van) and I have decided to buy 2x110Ah Varta batteries and 1x150w solar charger (i got a good deal off amazon). I went for Varta in the end after reading this thread:
    http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/leisure-battery-which-to-buy-/26707/61/#M448449
    I checked eBay for solar panels but I am on a bit of a time limit so bidding and waiting isn’t ideal. I figured I would fit the Solar now whilst everything is in pieces and all the panels are off.

Cheers again for helping out

eddhewett
    Participant

Cheers Darren,
    Cheers Darren,

The 240v socket and battery charger is already fitted (when I bought the van) and I have decided to buy 2x110Ah Varta batteries and 1x150w solar charger (i got a good deal off amazon). I went for Varta in the end after reading this thread:
    http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/leisure-battery-which-to-buy-/26707/61/#M448449
    I checked eBay for solar panels but I am on a bit of a time limit so bidding and waiting isn’t ideal. I figured I would fit the Solar now whilst everything is in pieces and all the panels are off.

Cheers again for helping out

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.