Can my van pass the DVLA criteria- please see pics

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Can my van pass the DVLA criteria- please see pics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    will
    Participant

Hi all, just hoping for some advice on whether I can get my van through the DVLA’s criteria for changing re-registering van to camper van. I have read up on it and I think it fits everything now apart from two possible issues.

One is there is no table to sit around. Currently we just sit on the sofa bed with food on lap or, at a stretch, on the kitchen unit. It is completely fine but I don’t know if the DVLA are going to get picky- could we basically claim the kitchen unit is also a table?

The second is cooking, I bought it as a rather poorly half done project with a microwave which went where the small green curtain is. I took it out cos I hate them with a passion and just installed the simple one ring burner. I was thinking to just slot the microwave back in for the taking some photos to send to the DVLA- should that be enough?

Any advise with this would be much appreciated. To me it seems obvious that it is a permanent conversion but I don’t know how anal the inspectors can be. The plan is to panel over the back doors fairly soon so if I get it all looking super sweet are they more likely to go easy on me?

Big thanks in advance for any help!

retford pugman
    Participant

your van may not pass as you
    your van may not pass as you have a single hob.

retford pugman
    Participant

your van may not pass as you
    your van may not pass as you have a single hob.

Darren

I would fit a table before
    I would fit a table before sending photos to the DVLA.
    Fitting a microwave, before taking the photos, would also be a good idea, as it will help meet their requirements.

Keep in mind, that the first stage is to take photos to send.
    You vehicle probably wont be inspected.

Darren

I would fit a table before
    I would fit a table before sending photos to the DVLA.
    Fitting a microwave, before taking the photos, would also be a good idea, as it will help meet their requirements.

Keep in mind, that the first stage is to take photos to send.
    You vehicle probably wont be inspected.

will
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys
    Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for not responding before, I didn’t realise anyone had replied.

I will slot the microwave back in the slot where the green curtain is so that should not be a problem.

According to this site: (www.campervanlife.com/building/legal) it seems the DVLA are asking for a ‘seating area for diners to sit around’ . The only feasible space for a table is on the right hand side as you look from the back. I don’t know if they’re going to get funny with that as there’s no way it will be able to be sat around. It seems like this criteria is more suited to proper motorhomes, surely I can’t be the only one to self build and find myself in this position?

will
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys
    Thanks for the replies guys and sorry for not responding before, I didn’t realise anyone had replied.

I will slot the microwave back in the slot where the green curtain is so that should not be a problem.

According to this site: (www.campervanlife.com/building/legal) it seems the DVLA are asking for a ‘seating area for diners to sit around’ . The only feasible space for a table is on the right hand side as you look from the back. I don’t know if they’re going to get funny with that as there’s no way it will be able to be sat around. It seems like this criteria is more suited to proper motorhomes, surely I can’t be the only one to self build and find myself in this position?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.