camping in Spain, Italy and France

Home Forum topic Camping camping in Spain, Italy and France

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    paulonline2501
    Participant

hi,

i was thinking about going on a long campervan trip to europe [spain italy france] for 3-6 months.
    however, it looks like a lot of the sites are very expensive £30 per night.
    Does any one whos been out there recently think ive got the wrong end of the stick when i say the average price looks like £30per night?
    £30 is too expensive for me for that lenght of time.
    does anyone know a good way to stay in these countries on the cheap or for nothing?

all the stuff ive read in bookshops and on the internet pretty much discourages camping any where other than on a campsite and doesnt give alternatives [apart from the odd national park, which would be awesome dont get me wrong but they are few and far between]

the only really useful thing ive found so far is the “Discovery” line of books like “Españia Discovery 2011” which has a list of farms and vineyards you can stay in overnight for free [with no facilities for charging or flushing the van].

any tips would be greatly appreciate from any one who has done this kind of thing before.

thanks for reading this and please get in touch if you have any good tips,

paul

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. I agree. Buying a camper is
    I agree. Buying a camper is a much cheaper option.
    Even if you are not mechanically experienced, you can buy a good vehicle, which the help of a garage if necessary, get it serviced, and tour with it.
    When you get back, fix and issues and sell it. You will save a lot of money. Also if any things break on a rented camper van, even small things, you will probably have to pay a lot of money to the rental company to have it fixed. This is not the case if you own the vehicle.

2. Renting a camper van for a couple of months
    Hi there,

My wife, 2nd old and 6 month old are planning to go to Italy for 8 weeks later next year in a rented camper van, however the cost is just too prohibitive we have just discovered. It looks like we are being quoted £7K plus for this period!

Just wondering if anyone has any better, or cheaper ideas to help us fulfil our dream??

Is it better to get the ferry and then rent the van from France for example?

Thanks, Simon and Gemma

3. Farms
    Lots of farms and small holdings in France are happy to let you overnight for a few nights. Especially if buying their eggs/bread/veg.

Ask in the Hotel D’ville in each village.

4. Camping in France
    In France the Municipal Campsites are good. Lots to choose from – there is one in almost every town and village in France. For a van prices range from about 6 euros to 25 euros a night. Facilities are basic but usually ok.

5. we went for 6 months last
    we went for 6 months last year, booked on a campsite in spain lovely ,but never again so many vans wildcamping no need to pay silly money and if you look around there is always water and toilets some where, Portugal is even better, dont pay silly money for something you could do without who needs a heated pool, showers on the beach, swim in the sea go for it its wonderful

6. What time of year do you
    What time of year do you intend to travel?
    These prices are probably for high-season: June September. Outside of this time prices go down to as much as half. Many campsites are just €10 or €15 per night. Some, like the Municipal campsites in Portugal, are just a few Euros a night. So, shop around, campsites are all different prices.

Wild, or free camping, is allowed in many areas. France and Italy are OK to wild camp. If you wild camp with other vehicles you are at your safest.
    Even better are the Aires. Special places set-aside by the councils for people to park motorhomes in . Some charge a few Euros a night, some are free.
    Vicarious Books do a number of books that list the Aires. There is one for France and another for Italy
    https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Aires-and-Stopovers/

The Passion books and schemes are also good. But these are not campsites. They are generally car parks at vineyards, and other places which are normally quite remote. You can park in the car park for free, overnight. They hope that you visit their shop or restaurant. Your vehicle will need to be self sufficient, as there are no facilities.