Campervan rear seats

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Campervan rear seats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    abes
    Participant

Hi, I am looking to convert a LWB Renault Trafic but I don’t want the usual side kitchen layout as we regularly go on 7hr+ journeys and we spend the entire time handing our kids food and entertainment. So having a rock and roll bed at the end of the van wont work for us.

I am looking to install some seats just behind the front row which fold away and are removable when needed. I think a double bench seat out of a new Transit Custom Tourneo fits the bill, tilting and folding away and easily removable when you use the original rails.

My question is about the legality and testing of these seats. I assume these seats are M1 tested as they are standard fit in the Transit custom but is the testing of the actual seat or for when they are installed in the van? If I weld and bolt the plates with spreaders into the van will I need that M1 pull tested or is the fact they are compliant enough?

Also is their a limit to how close they can be to the front row? I want them to fold away towards the front seat as close as possible.

Thanks.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

I would contact your insurance company and see what their rules regarding fitting seat belts are.
    In terms of an MOT, the tester simply checks that everything works, and that there is no decay near the mounting mounts (i.e. rust).

Darren

Hi
    Hi

I would contact your insurance company and see what their rules regarding fitting seat belts are.
    In terms of an MOT, the tester simply checks that everything works, and that there is no decay near the mounting mounts (i.e. rust).

Leanne

Rear seats
    Hi, I’m looking to do something similar but …. we have a converted 2001 Hiace Supercustom LWB that already has a double forward facing rear seat with lapbelts fitted to the seat. We want to do a straight swap (so not adding any additional seats) for something like a double minibus seat with 3 point belts attached to them. We just don’t need the big bulky seats that are there and we don’t need tilt or swivel action anymore (our little one used to use this as a bed but is now too big and in the bunk bed). We just want smaller, more compact seats that still allow someone to be seated for travelling. Would this be OK?
    As I say, we’re not adding additional seating just replacing what’s there.
    Thanks for any help!

Leanne

Rear seats
    Hi, I’m looking to do something similar but …. we have a converted 2001 Hiace Supercustom LWB that already has a double forward facing rear seat with lapbelts fitted to the seat. We want to do a straight swap (so not adding any additional seats) for something like a double minibus seat with 3 point belts attached to them. We just don’t need the big bulky seats that are there and we don’t need tilt or swivel action anymore (our little one used to use this as a bed but is now too big and in the bunk bed). We just want smaller, more compact seats that still allow someone to be seated for travelling. Would this be OK?
    As I say, we’re not adding additional seating just replacing what’s there.
    Thanks for any help!

Darren

Hi
    Hi

It’s perfectly OK to swap these seats.
    If you get a seat with the seatbelts integrated, it’ll be much easier to fit.
    I would suggest confirming this with your insurance company, to ensure they are happy with it.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

It’s perfectly OK to swap these seats.
    If you get a seat with the seatbelts integrated, it’ll be much easier to fit.
    I would suggest confirming this with your insurance company, to ensure they are happy with it.

Leanne

Ah thank you for that.
    Ah thank you for that.
    We’ve just had it in at our local motorhome repairer (the guy works wonders), he was worried at first but having looked at our seats and the chassis he thinks we should be able to swap with something like double van seats.
    A good engineer is something to treasure, we’ve discovered!! 🙂

Leanne

Ah thank you for that.
    Ah thank you for that.
    We’ve just had it in at our local motorhome repairer (the guy works wonders), he was worried at first but having looked at our seats and the chassis he thinks we should be able to swap with something like double van seats.
    A good engineer is something to treasure, we’ve discovered!! 🙂

Abes – again

Managed to find someone that
    Managed to find someone that confirmed it is the seats that are M1 tested.

Also the insurance company said it is fine as long as the V5 is updated.

Thanks,

Abes – again

Managed to find someone that
    Managed to find someone that confirmed it is the seats that are M1 tested.

Also the insurance company said it is fine as long as the V5 is updated.

Thanks,

Scooby2
    Participant

Seating up front
    Hi, does anyone make a rock and roll bed on rails?? So, kids up front when travelling and at the back at night?

Cheers Scooby2 and family

Scooby2
    Participant

Seating up front
    Hi, does anyone make a rock and roll bed on rails?? So, kids up front when travelling and at the back at night?

Cheers Scooby2 and family

Chris Heaney

R&R Bed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IhpZHcpfPc

Contemplating similar and found this – maybe helpful!?!

Chris Heaney

R&R Bed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IhpZHcpfPc

Contemplating similar and found this – maybe helpful!?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.