Campervan insurance advice needed…

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat Campervan insurance advice needed…

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mgroadster
    Participant

Those things “missing”
    Those things “missing” wouldn’t actually cost much to install. Cheap hob top off Ebay/car boot. Water hoding tank easy enough and a table is easy in the form of a fold up.
    I bought two connectors, (base and top), pedestal and table top for around 35 quid. It all dismantles for the bed to be pulled out.
    I reckon, you could do all that stuff using used stuff for about a hundred quid.

PedroMendez
    Participant

Where would I put the hob
    Where would I put the hob top? units and worktop are already installed. I already have a part of the worktop which sticks out and could be classed as a table I guess, a permanent water holding tank, I don’t know about that, what, and where would I put it? the van is pretty much finished so it’a a bit more complicated than bunging stuff in for a photo, and then if I was to have an accident, wouldn’t it invalidate my insurance?

I’ve joined motorhome365 forum in search of answers.

Sorry for the thread hijack Amy!

PedroMendez
    Participant

Where would I put the hob top? units and worktop are already installed. I already have a part of the worktop which sticks out and could be classed as a table I guess, a permanent water holding tank, I don’t know about that, what, and where would I put it? the van is pretty much finished so it’a a bit more complicated than bunging stuff in for a photo, and then if I was to have an accident, wouldn’t it invalidate my insurance?

PedroMendez
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

I’m not sure why they are
    I’m not sure why they are making a fuss about a perm water holding tank. Maybe it’s because you want to be covered 365 days a year, but whats the difference between a portable tank underneath the units and a perm one? They really are fussy.
    You could cut out a hole in the worktop to sink a hob top in with gas bottle secured underneath? (If you own or borrow a router)
    Mine was nearing completion, when I suddenly had a change of plan and virtually ripped out a good part of the kitchen stuff which I had spent hours on, but the change was worth it.
    If you have room for a small round table, a 35quid note will solve that.
    Out of curiosity…If you wanted 365 day cover….What were you going to cook on?

mgroadster
    Participant

I’m not sure why they are making a fuss about a perm water holding tank. Maybe it’s because you want to be covered 365 days a year, but whats the difference between a portable tank underneath the units and a perm one? They really are fussy.
    You could cut out a hole in the worktop to sink a hob top in with gas bottle secured underneath? (If you own or borrow a router)
    Mine was nearing completion, when I suddenly had a change of plan and virtually ripped out a good part of the kitchen stuff which I had spent hours on, but the change was worth it.

mgroadster
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

Check to see if they will be
    Check to see if they will be happy with a microwave instead of a hob. The DVLA typically allow this, so Campton probably will as well. You can always remove the microwave later if you don’t need it 🙂

Darren
    Keymaster

Check to see if they will be happy with a microwave instead of a hob. The DVLA typically allow this, so Campton probably will as well. You can always remove the microwave later if you don’t need it 🙂

Darren
    Keymaster

PedroMendez
    Participant

I’ve spoken to some insurance
    I’ve spoken to some insurance companies and other people travelling 365 days a year, and I apparently should be insuring it as a van not a motorhome, but declaring the storage units, and rock and roll bed. I don’t want to add a hob, I’ve spent a fair bit of time making my units exactly as I want, and specifically don’t want a permanent cooker in the van. The water holding tank is a bit of a grey area I think,I think a large water holding container strapped inside a cupboard would do, I just don’t like being forced to do these things to fit in with the insurance companies stupid misinformed criteria.

For cooking I will be buying a portable Coleman oven, with a small gas tank which I can take in or out of the van as and when needed, so not permanent. I’m not into travelling with all mod cons, I think that kind of defeats the purpose of travelling. I like “roughing it” I guess!

PedroMendez
    Participant

I’ve spoken to some insurance companies and other people travelling 365 days a year, and I apparently should be insuring it as a van not a motorhome, but declaring the storage units, and rock and roll bed. I don’t want to add a hob, I’ve spent a fair bit of time making my units exactly as I want, and specifically don’t want a permanent cooker in the van. The water holding tank is a bit of a grey area I think,I think a large water holding container strapped inside a cupboard would do, I just don’t like being forced to do these things to fit in with the insurance companies stupid misinformed criteria.

For cooking I will be buying a portable Coleman oven, with a small gas tank which I can take in or out of the van as and when needed, so not permanent. I’m not into travelling with all mod cons, I think that kind of defeats the purpose of travelling. I like “roughing it” I guess!

PedroMendez
    Participant

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.