Campervan Electricals – NEEDED: Hints, Tips, Products and Advice

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Campervan Electricals – NEEDED: Hints, Tips, Products and Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Ste_Mulv
    Participant

Cable and Split Charging
    @mgroadster Why not use twin and earth? also wouldn’t you use metallic conduit for the 230V side?

@Darren
    I had a problem using the standard relay charging system when my van lay unused for a few months and the leisure battery was almost completely drained by a rouge light. When I turned to ignition, the relay closed the current rush was so high between the two batteries that the relay melted destroying the lot. The main battery was also so drained that i was unable to start and needed a new starter battery. Is there any preventative measures that can be taken.

Ste_Mulv
    Participant

Cable and Split Charging
    @mgroadster Why not use twin and earth? also wouldn’t you use metallic conduit for the 230V side?

@Darren
    I had a problem using the standard relay charging system when my van lay unused for a few months and the leisure battery was almost completely drained by a rouge light. When I turned to ignition, the relay closed the current rush was so high between the two batteries that the relay melted destroying the lot. The main battery was also so drained that i was unable to start and needed a new starter battery. Is there any preventative measures that can be taken.

Ste_Mulv
    Participant

Cable and Split Charging

@Darren

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work
    Twin & earth……I work surrounded by Electricians (sounds like you do too)?and ALL of them say, if you are using T&E use conduit or flexi ducting. It tends to brittalise after a period (ok in a house etc)of time and also being in a vehicle would suffer from mild vibration, however in say 20mm flexi duct it would be ok. I’m going to use arctic grade flex due to it’s ability to withstand temp fluctuations.(Heat in the Southern hemisphere or Cold in the Northern. This seems to be the opinions of Electricians in whom I have the deepest respect, and if that what they say, then for me that what it is….OK maybe a little over engineered, but I will be happy that I did it to advice freely given.
    By Metallic conduit, do you mean Galv conduit? It’s not flexible enough to bend around the vehicles insides. The flexi ducting will help protect the T&E sleeve.

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work
    Twin & earth……I work surrounded by Electricians (sounds like you do too)?and ALL of them say, if you are using T&E use conduit or flexi ducting. It tends to brittalise after a period (ok in a house etc)of time and also being in a vehicle would suffer from mild vibration, however in say 20mm flexi duct it would be ok. I’m going to use arctic grade flex due to it’s ability to withstand temp fluctuations.(Heat in the Southern hemisphere or Cold in the Northern. This seems to be the opinions of Electricians in whom I have the deepest respect, and if that what they say, then for me that what it is….OK maybe a little over engineered, but I will be happy that I did it to advice freely given.
    By Metallic conduit, do you mean Galv conduit? It’s not flexible enough to bend around the vehicles insides. The flexi ducting will help protect the T&E sleeve.

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

mgroadster
    Participant

Twin & earth……I work

Darren
    Keymaster

I’m not sure of preventative
    I’m not sure of preventative measures. However, it is possible to fit a solar panel that charges the leisure battery. But also, with some solar controllers, once the leisure battery is charged, it will charge the engine battery. These are great when touring, but also when the vehicle is laid unused.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.