Camper Van Planning

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Camper Van Planning

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    granta2
    Participant

Hi all –
    I’m looking for a road trip vehicle for my eight-year old son and me to use for adventures. The van was his idea originally, and our thought process has gone from there. His two main requirements are a TV and a potty. I like the idea of being able to pack food from home and just being more comfortable on the road.

We live in New England, and we’re active in the winter. I’ve gone back and forth, but I’m convinced we need four wheel drive because 2WD vans are terrible in the snow. But, we don’t need to drive over boulders like most of the Quigleys and Sportsmobiles I see. We just need to be able to power through 12″ of snow to get to a White Mountain trailhead.

Another requirement is a high top – I’m tall and my son will be taller than me someday. I don’t like the penthouse roofs – I want it to be up all the time. I know my gas mileage will be expensive, this is just one spot in life I’m willing to splurge on. If I wanted to save all my money, I’d stay at home and look at pictures.

I like the floor plans of the American cruisers, which eliminate the side door. But those didn’t come in 4WD. What do you all think of this – buy a used 4WD extended van, cut the roof off and install a high top (need to contract that job out – where?), then outfit the camper van interior. Thoughts? Budget estimate?

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.