Camp Site Restrictions

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat Camp Site Restrictions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    valdunlodge
    Participant

Hi There,

I there, I have recently purchased a Vauxhall Vivaro van with only 60,000 miles and in immaculate conditiion.

Then I found your site, I like it!!!

My intention was that as I am retired I could “hit the road” and enjoy the outdoors. Sleep in the van, cook etc., outside of it. I have painted the ply linings and carpetted it and have a single mattress etc. All nice and cosy and just enough for me travelling alone. I don’t want windows or cupboards etc. I use the van for everyday use, nothing commercial. I purchased it purely to travel and sleep in it.

Well, now I discover that because it doesn’t have any windows etc., some campsite won’t allow me on. I find this rather odd. If I pulled out a 1 man tent and erected it outside the van would I then be allowed on site??

I joined the Caravan & Camping Club, enquired yesterday if I could get into the Corfe Castle site and was told No, not without windows etc., etc. So my membership is useless. What sort of snobbery is this.

We just celebrated the fight for freedom from tyranny some 70 years ago. Well I guess we are free to be told what to do and how to do it to somewhat of a lesser degree than envisioned at that time but nevertheless, to be governed by petty mindedness and silly rules. Or am I over-reacting.

Travelling alone, as a retired woman, I really don’t want to have to face being turned away from a site at the end of a long drive. I had envisioned just driving until I found somewhere nice and stay over. But it seem that I will have to plan carefully and phone ahead. Not really the way I wanted to operate. What if I get to a camp site and don’t like it but have booked because they take a van?

All I want to do is be free to travel, and park my van in a safe overnight site.

But never mind, I have sounded off……..

Enjoy camping everyone and any comments will be welcome.

Anonymous

Hi,
    Hi,

If you buy a cheap 2 man tent (pop up ones go up in literally 1 second and don’t take much longer to take down) then book as a tent and vehicle – not a campervan. The tent makes a good storage area if you ever need it too.

Jane

Anonymous

Hi,
    Hi,

If you buy a cheap 2 man tent (pop up ones go up in literally 1 second and don’t take much longer to take down) then book as a tent and vehicle – not a campervan. The tent makes a good storage area if you ever need it too.

Jane

DAVEY
    Participant

Overnight stops
    Hello,
    There are a few sites with information about safe places to stop, try
    http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/
    or
    http://www.camperstar.com/
    for starters.
    The first one charges a subscription to become a full member but it is a very active organisation as You will see from the list of events they organise.
    I’ve attended a couple of their events (Eastnor castle last year and the Severn Bore meet in February this year) in My self converted Renault Trafic and as the “new boy” I was made very welcome at both events. They even have ladies only “Girly Meets” if that appeals to You.
    Also are You aware that some local councils allow overnight parking in town car parks? as long as You are sensible about it and don’t overstay your welcome.

Davey

DAVEY
    Participant

Overnight stops
    Hello,
    There are a few sites with information about safe places to stop, try
    http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/
    or
    http://www.camperstar.com/
    for starters.
    The first one charges a subscription to become a full member but it is a very active organisation as You will see from the list of events they organise.
    I’ve attended a couple of their events (Eastnor castle last year and the Severn Bore meet in February this year) in My self converted Renault Trafic and as the “new boy” I was made very welcome at both events. They even have ladies only “Girly Meets” if that appeals to You.
    Also are You aware that some local councils allow overnight parking in town car parks? as long as You are sensible about it and don’t overstay your welcome.

Davey

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.