black smoke from exhaust – problem?

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas black smoke from exhaust – problem?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    astralfenix
    Participant

Hi,

I recently bought a campervan for Eurotripping, and have noticed too late that there is a blacksmoke issue. I don’t know much about cars, so thought I would post a video on youtube for your perusal, rather than go to a mechanic to have him say “you need a new diamond encrusted engine guvnor”. The vid is below, skip to 0:57 to see the main action.

It happens mostly after changing to 3rd gear, then it seems to disappear as my speed increases, but I don’t know if this is just an aerodynamic illusion.
    Suggestions please?

THanks,
    Mike

mgroadster
    Participant

Go to your local
    Go to your local “motorspares” shop (or similar) and buy a tin of smoke cleaner (not diesel cleaner)and pour it in your diesel tank. Then take your van out and drive it HARD, max out of each gear. You will see billows of black smoke come out the back as you accelerate hard. What you are actually doing, is cleaning out the system.
    When My 06 failed on smoke emissions, I got some no smoke, poured it in the tank and shafted it along the A14, with max revs in each gear and at the re-test it sailed through on very low smoke emissions.I now do this each year before the MOT and it sails through the smoke test.
    Also, ensure that you change your oil and filters regularly.
    P.S Don’t take any notice about how much fuel it says on the tin you need to have in the tank, I always put a full tin of smoke treatment into a virtually empty tank for max effect.

mgroadster
    Participant

Go to your local
    Go to your local “motorspares” shop (or similar) and buy a tin of smoke cleaner (not diesel cleaner)and pour it in your diesel tank. Then take your van out and drive it HARD, max out of each gear. You will see billows of black smoke come out the back as you accelerate hard. What you are actually doing, is cleaning out the system.
    When My 06 failed on smoke emissions, I got some no smoke, poured it in the tank and shafted it along the A14, with max revs in each gear and at the re-test it sailed through on very low smoke emissions.I now do this each year before the MOT and it sails through the smoke test.
    P.S Don’t take any notice about how much fuel it says on the tin you need to have in the tank, I always put a full tin of smoke treatment into a virtually empty tank for max effect.

mgroadster
    Participant

Go to your local

Darren
    Keymaster

Hard to say what the problem
    Hard to say what the problem is.
    mgroadster solution may work for you, but here’s the disclaimer, you would tackle that approach at your own risk entirely.

Darren
    Keymaster

mgroadster solution may work for you, but here’s the disclaimer, you would tackle that approach at your own risk entirely.

Darren
    Keymaster

mgroadster
    Participant

Oh yes, entirely agree. It
    Oh yes, entirely agree. It works for me, but don’t burn your van out on acct. of what I do, and find you need to send a search party out for your gearbox.
    I know exactly when to change. On one of my visits, I did it on the way to the MOT testing station with my wife following me……I showered her in billows of black smoke, but by the timew I got to the testing station, there was no smoke at all, even on hard sharp rev which they do for the smoke test.

mgroadster
    Participant

Oh yes, entirely agree. It works for me, but don’t burn your van out on acct. of what I do, and find you need to send a search party out for your gearbox.
    I know exactly when to change. On one of my visits, I did it on the way to the MOT testing station with my wife following me……I showered her in billows of black smoke, but by the timew I got to the testing station, there was no smoke at all, even on hard sharp rev which they do for the smoke test.

mgroadster
    Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.