Bed width

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Bed width

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Matt25
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’m planning to buy a Fiat Scudo/Citroen Dispatch soon to convert into a small camper. I’m wondering how wide the bed needs to be? There isn’t going to be enough room for a full double bed, but I’d like to have a rasonable width as I’m planning to take my lass on a few trips.

I’m currently thinking about using the cushions from an old leather sofa to form a seat that folds out into a bed (will require further cushions to make the bed). Am quite keen on this plan as it will mean I have leather seats in my camper! However, this will give me a bed which is 112 cm wide. I’m broad, without being (too) fat and my lass is quite slim. Do you guys think 112 cm will be wide enough? I’m willing to accept that a campervan is never going to be as comfy as a bed but I don’t want to be pulling elbows out of my face all night!

Thanks for any input.

Matt 🙂

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi Darren,
    Thanks for your

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your input, useful links. I think I’m going to have some foam cut specially and go with a width of approx. 120-130cm

Cheers,

Matt

1. Sounds like a good idea Matt.
      Sounds like a good idea Matt. Good luck with it.

2. Rear bed widths are typically
    Rear bed widths are typically between 1.1 (2 seats) and 1.5 meters (3 seats). See here:

http://www.snailtrail.co.uk/vw_campervans_layout.htm
    http://www.freebirdconversions.co.uk/vw-camper-seats.html

You might be OK, seems narrow if you are not though.

3. Can you make a mock-up on the
    Can you make a mock-up on the lounge floor and see it 112cm is wide enough for you both?

It sounds a bit narrow to me.

1. Hi,
      I tried that, but its

Hi,

I tried that, but its hard to know unless you sleep on it. I’d be interested to know the width of other peoples beds, how they find them etc.

Also, I’d be interested to know how wide the standard bed on a VW camper (for instance) is.

Cheers,

Matt