battery usage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    craig4568
    Participant

Hi Can some please explain Battery usage and how long i can expect to use my fridge heater and lights before the batteries are empty
    I have 2 X 110 m/amp batteries on board and I have a webasto duel top heater /water heater led lights and a fridge tv etc The sergeant display panel says I have a current of -1.3 amp what does this mean this is with every thing turned on How long will i be able to run off grid

I have found i want to do this more and more these days but don’t want to run out of juice the other problem is the wiring has never been right in the van but i think i finally have it fixed

any help is appreciated i would love to know the answer to this without just running everything till it all goes flat Ive heard thats no good for the leisure batteries is it ????

Regards

Confused Craig

craig4568
    Participant

Update
    It flattened the batteries enough for the webasto to stop after 2hr 20 mins any ideas guys????

craig4568
    Participant

Update
    It flattened the batteries enough for the webasto to stop after 2hr 20 mins any ideas guys????

DeeKay

Fridge
    What type of fridge have you and is it connected to this battery?
    How old are your batteries and what charges them?

DeeKay

Fridge
    What type of fridge have you and is it connected to this battery?
    How old are your batteries and what charges them?

Boomzilla
    Participant

The amp hour capacity of a
    The amp hour capacity of a battery is a very tricky thing to pin down. Its a little bit like your vehicle’s fuel economy rating. Under very specific test conditions you can get the same number as the one listed. In reality you never will. Generally deep cycle batteries are rated at a very slow discharge which increases the capacity rating significantly. If you discharge faster than the tested rate you might get as little as 20% of the listed capacity.

OK, all that nonsense out of the way.. Here’s what the number means: Say you have a 100 amp hour battery tested at a 20 hour rate. Divide the 100 by the twenty and you get five amps. This battery was designed to provide five amps continuously for 20 hours before the voltage drops off significantly and the battery is dead.

Now connect two of those batteries together, positive to positive, negative to negative. Congrats, you have just made a 200 amp hour battery that will provide 10 amps for 20 hours.

Just remember that first paragraph. If you take that 200 amp hour battery and draw 20 amps it will NOT last 10 hours.

Hope this helps you size your battery bank!

Boomzilla
    Participant

The amp hour capacity of a
    The amp hour capacity of a battery is a very tricky thing to pin down. Its a little bit like your vehicle’s fuel economy rating. Under very specific test conditions you can get the same number as the one listed. In reality you never will. Generally deep cycle batteries are rated at a very slow discharge which increases the capacity rating significantly. If you discharge faster than the tested rate you might get as little as 20% of the listed capacity.

OK, all that nonsense out of the way.. Here’s what the number means: Say you have a 100 amp hour battery tested at a 20 hour rate. Divide the 100 by the twenty and you get five amps. This battery was designed to provide five amps continuously for 20 hours before the voltage drops off significantly and the battery is dead.

Now connect two of those batteries together, positive to positive, negative to negative. Congrats, you have just made a 200 amp hour battery that will provide 10 amps for 20 hours.

Just remember that first paragraph. If you take that 200 amp hour battery and draw 20 amps it will NOT last 10 hours.

Hope this helps you size your battery bank!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.