Basic conversion

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Basic conversion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    davidvin
    Participant

Hi. My first post, so excuse me if my knowledge isn’t great. I have been reading about conversions, with the plan of purchasing a van and making it into a fairly basic motor home. Do I really need to have the electrics, gas and water done? My idea was to have an electric oven and hob, like the small ones you can buy in currys etc, a small electric fridge and no water supply. Would this be sufficient or does it all need to be as it would in a purpose built camper for the dvla to register it as one? I was just going to have those bits running off the site hook up, like you would if in a tent. I purely want the back of the van as a seating and sleeping area with storage. Thanks in advance for any help

Darren

Hi
    Hi

In case you haven’t see it, here is a list of requirements for to re-register a vehicle as a motorcaravan.
    https://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

You don’t need gas, you can use electricity to power everything.
    So, if you use electricity to power your fridge and cooker, it’s only water that you need to supply. Some people have a simple hand pump that pumps water from a tank under the sink, so it can be very simple.
    The DVLA are looking for a vehicle that looks and works like a regular campervan, and running water seems like a fair minimum requirement.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

In case you haven’t see it, here is a list of requirements for to re-register a vehicle as a motorcaravan.
    https://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal

You don’t need gas, you can use electricity to power everything.
    So, if you use electricity to power your fridge and cooker, it’s only water that you need to supply. Some people have a simple hand pump that pumps water from a tank under the sink, so it can be very simple.
    The DVLA are looking for a vehicle that looks and works like a regular campervan, and running water seems like a fair minimum requirement.

davidvin
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I’m ok
    Thanks for your reply. I’m ok with sorting a water tank etc. Do I need to have a permanent electrical set up? Fuse box and wall plugs? Or would a normal power lead from the site supply hooked up to a surge multiplug in the van suffice?

davidvin
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I’m ok
    Thanks for your reply. I’m ok with sorting a water tank etc. Do I need to have a permanent electrical set up? Fuse box and wall plugs? Or would a normal power lead from the site supply hooked up to a surge multiplug in the van suffice?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.