aussie family coming to europe for 6 months

Home Forum topic Camping aussie family coming to europe for 6 months

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ngorman
    Participant

Hi everyone,

we are a family of 4 kids age 4 and 6. we are coming over for 6 months in May. Uk for 1 month to buy camper and then europe for 6.

I have been looking at vw campers on web, but i’m not sure if they will be big enough.
    So many things to think about
    WHICH CAMPER,
    do i need book campsites now for JUNE or will they be not too busy.
    can i travel on eurotunnel or should i go by ferry.

We will probably head to france in june, travel to spain then rent a house for 1 month in france july/august, then onto italy from end of august, innsbruck, berlin. prague, and belgium finishing off in october.

We currently reside in australia but all have UK passports, does anyone know if i will be able to get insurance on camper for europe even though i don’t have permanent address in UK, (can use my mus address).

I know it will be very busy in july august but I can’t think of any other way to to do our travels. would be so grateful for any help, suggestions tips etc.

I seem to keep checking places on intrnet, but so many vans, campsites to choose from

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi
    A VW can be big enough if

Hi

A VW can be big enough if the weather is good, and you have an awning. Otherwise it will probably be a bit of a squeeze. There are lots of bigger campers available, although not quite as many of them, they are cheaper than VW vans.

You should not have a problem finding campsites in June. The very best campsites might be full, but lots of others will have spaces.
    I took a 2 week trip in August this year, perhaps the busiest time, and had no trouble finding campsites with spaces.

Ferry is always cheaper than Eurotunnel.

https://www.norfolkline-ferries.co.uk/ferry/ is one of the cheapest. About £60 from Dover to Dunkerque.

You can get insurance as a non-resident no problem. Try
    http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsure.nsf/homepages/homepage

In July August it’s best to beat the traffic. Getting up early can help this. Try and book ahead to ensure you have places to stay. Avoid the really busy places, or you may be stuck for hours.

Good luck with your trip

1. thanks
      thanks for all the info, any recommendations of makes of campervans. husband is not very mechanically minded!

I have been reading other forums and its a great site with plenty of great tips.

1. There are lots of different
        There are lots of different makes. It’s better to find a vehicle that suits your needs and budget, rather than a particular brand. However Auto-Sleeper are popular.