Advice sought, Vehicle safety in Italy.

Home Forum topic Camping Advice sought, Vehicle safety in Italy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Global Dreamer
    Participant

Hello everyone’

My partner and I are planning a few months touring in Italy in our do it yourself converted ‘stealth van’. We’re both reasonably seasoned travellers with regards to being careful with the security of our items but I’ve recently heard a lot of vehicle robbery stories from someone who told me Italy was notorious for this sort of thing.

I have no bias either way I’m just open and would appreciate hearing any advice or experiences you might share with me.

Our main route will be down through Switzerland, past milan, the Amalfi coast, road right down to Sicily .

Thanking you in advance for any feedback. Hope this finds you happy.
    Global Dreamer

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    I haven’t wild camped in

Hi

I haven’t wild camped in Italy, but have done quite a lot in other countries. When visiting countries with high crime rates I tend to not leave the vehicle unattended. When camping in areas of Spain with high crime rates I tend to stick to campsites, or Aires, as this increases security. I feel it’s worth paying more to ensure security. When visiting areas with lower crime rates, such as the Algarve of Portugal, I return to wild camping. Especially when amongst other wild campers.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    I haven’t wild camped in

Hi

I haven’t wild camped in Italy, but have done quite a lot in other countries. When visiting countries with high crime rates I tend to not leave the vehicle unattended. When camping in areas of Spain with high crime rates I tend to stick to campsites, or Aires, as this increases security. I feel it’s worth paying more to ensure security. When visiting areas with lower crime rates, such as the Algarve of Portugal, I return to wild camping. Especially when amongst other wild campers.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    I haven’t wild camped in

Hi

Ian Ferguson

Italy
    We drove through Switzerland & the Gotthard tunnel to Lake Como. Always stayed on sites & it was always idyllic with a holiday atmosphere. We never saw any trouble.

The roads are narrow and busy so expect the mad Italians tooting their horn behind you. They don’t mean anything by it. It’s just their way. Driving in big towns and cities is interesting and only for the brave. People will step out to stop traffic as otherwise they can’t get across.

The road along the Amalfi coast is of course beautiful & scary at the same time. Lots of cliffside driving & little tunnels through the rock but some very nice places like Positano & Amalfi.

Ian Ferguson

Italy
    We drove through Switzerland & the Gotthard tunnel to Lake Como. Always stayed on sites & it was always idyllic with a holiday atmosphere. We never saw any trouble.

The roads are narrow and busy so expect the mad Italians tooting their horn behind you. They don’t mean anything by it. It’s just their way. Driving in big towns and cities is interesting and only for the brave. People will step out to stop traffic as otherwise they can’t get across.

The road along the Amalfi coast is of course beautiful & scary at the same time. Lots of cliffside driving & little tunnels through the rock but some very nice places like Positano & Amalfi.

Ian Ferguson

Italy

Ian Ferguson

Milan
    ps: Nothing to see in Milan unless you book in advance to see the last supper. It’s just a big city.

Ian Ferguson

Milan
    ps: Nothing to see in Milan unless you book in advance to see the last supper. It’s just a big city.

Ian Ferguson

Milan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.