A comfy camper that’s a nippy run-around too?

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself A comfy camper that’s a nippy run-around too?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    DB
    Participant

Hi there,

My wife and I are thinking about trading in our Skoda Octavia for a camper. We’ve two small kids (2yrs and 6 months) and a largish dog that we need to sleep in it. As it would be our only vehicle however we want something that can get around town too without too much difficulty and that’s good on fuel. I’ve been told that the Mazda Bongo tries to do that but ends up not succeeding at either. We’ve been looking at converting a Transporter, but think it may be a little too small without the pop-up roof, which we’ve been told wears pretty quickly. Any pointers greatly received.

Thanks,

Dan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Small vans, such as Mazda
    Small vans, such as Mazda Bongo or VW Transporter can only sleep 2 adults and 2 children if 2 people sleep in the raised pop-top roof.
    The Bongo is not a bad vehicle. However, they were only ever made as MPV’s. The seats folded down are quite hard to sleep on. They are pretty good vehicles to drive. Fairly easy to get around, reasonable performance and 30mpg. To have one as a proper camper you would need to convert it, as they were only made with seats. Some people put a small kitchen unit in the back, with a back seat removed.
    Modern VW transporters drive very well. The ones with the more powerful engines are very quick.
    Pop-tops cost about £2,000 to have fitted, but generally last a long time. On a Bongo these last 20 years with minimal maintenance.
    Again, for 4 to sleep in a VW transporter, 2 will have to sleep in the roof.

You might want to consider a SWB Sprinter or Ducato. Although these are larger vans, you can more easily accommodation 4 people. They come with different engine options, with the better ones being very quick indeed.
    The SWB version of these vans are quite easy to get around. Not much more difficult than a car, and pretty much the same as a VW Transporter.