6 months in the van.

• This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ianr.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ianr
    Participant

Well its been about 6 months since I started living in the van. Spent about 3 weeks sleeping in a normal bed in that time. It’s gone splendidly to be honest. There’s a couple of things I’d do differently on my next conversion but overall I’m quite happy with the van.
    Now the only bad bit is POWER INVERTERS…….Aaaggghhh.
    I’ve had 2 pack up on me in the first 4 months. £510 worth in total, both waiting to be returned to the supplier when I get a couple of weeks off this easter.
    Anyone had any similar problems please let me know which make you use.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great to hear this is working out for you.
    Where in the country are you living, are you working, and where about’s do you park at night?
    Bad news about the inverters. Hopefully you can find a reliable one.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great to hear this is working out for you.
    Where in the country are you living, are you working, and where about’s do you park at night?
    Bad news about the inverters. Hopefully you can find a reliable one.

ianr
    Participant

18 months in the Vivaro
    Well, it’s been nearly 18 months since I moved into the van and I’m loving it to be honest.
    I’ve been all over the place working, from Newquay up to Edinburgh and loads in between and have saved a fair amount of money I would have paid in digs.
    I’ve joined 2 gyms (the gym and pure gym) to cater for washing. They have almost 200 between them around the country so usually I’m not too far from one. It’s got me back into training again so that’s another benefit.
    The van hasn’t changed at all except for those poxy inverters I had. I ended up buying an inverter generator for my power needs and so far so good. It’s fine for my microwave, toaster and George foreman grill and not too noisy either. I use a Trangia 25 with a gas burner for any other cooking I do.
    I have changer my sleeping equipment too. The blow up camping mat has been changed for a memory foam mattress and the cheap argos sleeping bags have been given away to my nephew and replaced with a quite expensive one recommend to me by a carp angler I know. What a difference it is too. Warm and cosy in the winter and cool in the summer. Excellent purchase.
    Anyway I’m off to Preston Brook for the next few weeks working on a pharmacy warehouse so let’s hope it’s going to be a nice spring and summer.

ianr
    Participant

18 months in the Vivaro
    Well, it’s been nearly 18 months since I moved into the van and I’m loving it to be honest.
    I’ve been all over the place working, from Newquay up to Edinburgh and loads in between and have saved a fair amount of money I would have paid in digs.
    I’ve joined 2 gyms (the gym and pure gym) to cater for washing. They have almost 200 between them around the country so usually I’m not too far from one. It’s got me back into training again so that’s another benefit.
    The van hasn’t changed at all except for those poxy inverters I had. I ended up buying an inverter generator for my power needs and so far so good. It’s fine for my microwave, toaster and George foreman grill and not too noisy either. I use a Trangia 25 with a gas burner for any other cooking I do.
    I have changer my sleeping equipment too. The blow up camping mat has been changed for a memory foam mattress and the cheap argos sleeping bags have been given away to my nephew and replaced with a quite expensive one recommend to me by a carp angler I know. What a difference it is too. Warm and cosy in the winter and cool in the summer. Excellent purchase.
    Anyway I’m off to Preston Brook for the next few weeks working on a pharmacy warehouse so let’s hope it’s going to be a nice spring and summer.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great to hear it’s been working out for you.
    Great advice for others on the sleeping arrangements.
    Do you have an air heater for the winter evenings?

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great to hear it’s been working out for you.
    Great advice for others on the sleeping arrangements.
    Do you have an air heater for the winter evenings?

ianr
    Participant

Hi Darren, how’s it going?
    I do have a small ceramic heater which runs off the leisure battery. From Roadsmart if I remember right. It’s not brilliant but just enough to take the chill out of the air in the mornings if I flip it on ten minutes before getting up. I bought a good quality down jacket from go outdoors for the cold evenings. It does the job just fine. Thinsulate gloves and hat when it was really cold helped no end too.
    I’m planning my next van now. Soon as I hit 100K ill be getting another vivaro. Got some big plans for this one though now I’ve got a bit of experience of the van life. About 18 months away I think, so this wagon will be looking for a new home then.

ianr
    Participant

I do have a small ceramic heater which runs off the leisure battery. From Roadsmart if I remember right. It’s not brilliant but just enough to take the chill out of the air in the mornings if I flip it on ten minutes before getting up. I bought a good quality down jacket from go outdoors for the cold evenings. It does the job just fine. Thinsulate gloves and hat when it was really cold helped no end too.
    I’m planning my next van now. Soon as I hit 100K ill be getting another vivaro. Got some big plans for this one though now I’ve got a bit of experience of the van life. About 18 months away I think, so this wagon will be looking for a new home then.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.