508D MERCEDES IMPORTING!

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself 508D MERCEDES IMPORTING!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    alemarzotto
    Participant

Hi everybody!im new here.

i have few questions to ask..im about to buy a mercedes 508d from 1984(my dream) from holland to bring it Bristol to live in for next year or so.

im 26 and i got my driving license a bit late…in 2012.im half english half itlalian and i have my british passport but i have seen that few insurance company are asking if i live permanently in the UK since three years…do they ask proof of that?because i haven’t!
    i have been working around Europe but i did my studies in the UK….OH GOD SO MUCH STUFF!!!!!

i would like to ask what are my chances of getting a cheap insurance? How is it the process to import such a vehicle?i guess i would get an importing insurance from holland to get to Bristol and then do all the paper work once i m there with out being able to drive the van?

would my age and the non experience that i have with insurance and the little time i have my driving license, be a problem?

i dont want this stuff to stop me from having my dream van in the UK!

PLEASE HELP!

i find it hard TO KNOW IF the van is a motorhome or camper van !!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!!!HOPE SOMEONE HAS THE KNOWLEDGE TO ANSWER ALL THIS TRICKY QUESTIONS!!!!

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    Great to hear of your

Hi

Great to hear of your adventures.

OK.
    Do you have a British driving license?
    How heavy is the Mercedes?
    It is probably more than 3,500 kgs. If so you cannot drive it on a driving license after 1997.
    For a vehicle with a weight of more than 3,500 kgs you need driving license category C1, which you probably don’t have. You probably have C.
    You need to check this.

More information here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

I don’t think insurance companies ask for proof of residency, however giving false information to an insurance company can result in your insurance not being valid.

I’m not sure of the process to import. Fairly simple I suspect.
    https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Don’t think you age will be a problem with insurance. Over 25s can insure anything I think.
    When you import the vehicle you will be able to register it as a Motor Caravan, assuming it is properly convert with a bed and water tanks, etc.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    Great to hear of your

Hi

Great to hear of your adventures.

OK.
    Do you have a British driving license?
    How heavy is the Mercedes?
    It is probably more than 3,500 kgs. If so you cannot drive it on a driving license after 1997.
    For a vehicle with a weight of more than 3,500 kgs you need driving license category C1, which you probably don’t have. You probably have C.
    You need to check this.

More information here: https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

I don’t think insurance companies ask for proof of residency, however giving false information to an insurance company can result in your insurance not being valid.

I’m not sure of the process to import. Fairly simple I suspect.
    https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Don’t think you age will be a problem with insurance. Over 25s can insure anything I think.
    When you import the vehicle you will be able to register it as a Motor Caravan, assuming it is properly convert with a bed and water tanks, etc.

Patyogi
    Participant

Import
    It’s not an easy ride to import a vehicle, headlights have to be changed and you have to approach the maker for a special document(cert of conformity)&(commission notice) stating it is Euro standards.
    Then apply to VOSA for testing.
    Points to remember.. It’s a left hooker, higher insurance. All of this takes time, whilst you are waiting you will have to get special insurance to be able to drive it. (Adrian Flux-expensive)

Mine took 4 months and a lot of running about.

Patyogi
    Participant

Import
    It’s not an easy ride to import a vehicle, headlights have to be changed and you have to approach the maker for a special document(cert of conformity)&(commission notice) stating it is Euro standards.
    Then apply to VOSA for testing.
    Points to remember.. It’s a left hooker, higher insurance. All of this takes time, whilst you are waiting you will have to get special insurance to be able to drive it. (Adrian Flux-expensive)

Mine took 4 months and a lot of running about.

Darren
    Keymaster

Good advise. Thanks for
    Good advise. Thanks for sharing with us.

Darren
    Keymaster

Good advise. Thanks for
    Good advise. Thanks for sharing with us.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.