1983 4X4 Dodge 360 with Pathfinder to Duramax Diesel

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions 1983 4X4 Dodge 360 with Pathfinder to Duramax Diesel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    silverfern
    Participant

Hey I’m new to van ownership, but I bought a 1983 Dodge Vancharger with Pathfinder suspension, and I’m interested if anybody has converted one of these to Diesel. I’m in the market for a Duramax/Allison combo. I am interested in making this vehicle a long range road tripper for skiing all over the west. Any input or problems anybody has had with converting to diesel appreciated. Currently vehicle is running full time 4wd. Interested in changing front out to freewheel hub type (suggestions). Is this a idea worth pursuing, or should I wait until current engine dies and go from there. Current engine/drivetrain 177,000 miles (68,000 on rebuild).

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, welcome.
    Not familiar

Hi, welcome.
    Not familiar with these vehicles and not sure which Diesel engine would be compatible to put in. With most vehicles, with some re-designing of chassis engine mounts etc other engine choices can be made.
    If you have the room to alter etc. You can virtually do anything you want providing you can do good quality welding etc.
    On a different note, A guy in my local car club (I’m an Alfa colector)has made a magnificent job of putting a Ford sierra cosworh engine and gearbox into a Mini!
    Anything is achievable with thought and the right tools.

mgroadster
    Participant

Hi, welcome.
    Not familiar

Hi, welcome.
    Not familiar with these vehicles and not sure which Diesel engine would be compatible to put in. With most vehicles, with some re-designing of chassis engine mounts etc other engine choices can be made.
    If you have the room to alter etc. You can virtually do anything you want providing you can do good quality welding etc.
    On a different note, A guy in my local car club (I’m an Alfa colector)has made a magnificent job of putting a Ford sierra cosworh engine and gearbox into a Mini!
    Anything is achievable with thought and the right tools.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.