12 volt

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jaypb
    Participant

Hello folks ..I was just wondering I have installed a 100watt solar panel on my campervan which runs from my regulator too my mains battery to keep the mains battery charged up when not in use i was just wondering if this is the right thing to do or should I charge my leisure battery off it or could I run my 12,volt fridge .Just a bit stuck as too what to do I am fairly new to all this campervaning regards Jason

Darren

Hi Jason

Hi Jason

You could use the solar panel to run both.

If you are good with electrics you could fit a switch that sent your solar panel to either the engine battery (when in winter) or to the leisure battery (when in summer).  You could do this with a simple 12v 2 pole switch.

There are also some clever relays that sense when your leisure battery is full, and then uses the solar panel to top-up your engine battery.  If you’re not proficient with electrical work you could ask a local dealer/workshop to fit one of these for you.

Once the solar panel is charging the leisure battery your could run any 12v appliances from the leisure battery.  You should never run the 12v appliances straight from the solar panel, always via the leisure battery.

Darren

Hi Jason

Hi Jason

You could use the solar panel to run both.

If you are good with electrics you could fit a switch that sent your solar panel to either the engine battery (when in winter) or to the leisure battery (when in summer).  You could do this with a simple 12v 2 pole switch.

There are also some clever relays that sense when your leisure battery is full, and then uses the solar panel to top-up your engine battery.  If you’re not proficient with electrical work you could ask a local dealer/workshop to fit one of these for you.

Once the solar panel is charging the leisure battery your could run any 12v appliances from the leisure battery.  You should never run the 12v appliances straight from the solar panel, always via the leisure battery.

jason

thanks
    Wow cheers Darren no im not the best electrician in the world but I’m willing too have ago …I’d love too know how I could use my solar panel too charge my mains and leisure battery at the moment I have a regulator charging my mains battery but on one side of my regulator it is empty should I connect my leisure battery to this and set the timer on it to say 6 hours to top the battery up …. Will this not discharge the mains battery. Regards jason

jason

thanks
    Wow cheers Darren no im not the best electrician in the world but I’m willing too have ago …I’d love too know how I could use my solar panel too charge my mains and leisure battery at the moment I have a regulator charging my mains battery but on one side of my regulator it is empty should I connect my leisure battery to this and set the timer on it to say 6 hours to top the battery up …. Will this not discharge the mains battery. Regards jason

jason

Hello Darren sorry to bother

Hello Darren sorry to bother you ,but I was just wondering if I purchase a "voltage senitive relay" and a 12volt double pole switch I could run both leisure and mains battery of my 100 watt solar panel ….1,,.would I need a 100amp relay and 2 would I still charge the leisure battery as normal from running the van around through the split charge relay …regards Jason

jason

Hello Darren sorry to bother

Hello Darren sorry to bother you ,but I was just wondering if I purchase a "voltage senitive relay" and a 12volt double pole switch I could run both leisure and mains battery of my 100 watt solar panel ….1,,.would I need a 100amp relay and 2 would I still charge the leisure battery as normal from running the van around through the split charge relay …regards Jason

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Jason

This relay (http://www.iem-services.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=968) supports a second battery, and will charge the second battery when the first battery is full. It will disconnect the batteries to preserve the second battery if the voltage drops.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Jason

This relay (http://www.iem-services.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=968) supports a second battery, and will charge the second battery when the first battery is full. It will disconnect the batteries to preserve the second battery if the voltage drops.

Anonymous

Thank you
    Thank you

Anonymous

Thank you
    Thank you

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.