Campervan Insurance

No matter what type of vehicle you've got, or where you got it, you need to get it insured.

It is very important that you insure your vehicle correctly.  In the event of an accident, fire or theft, you need to ensure your vehicle is properly covered, and for the correct amount.

Below are insurance companies we have used, or that have been recommended by our readers. 

Professionally Built Campervans & Motorhome Insurance

Getting insurance for a professionally built campervan is fairly straight forward.  Most of the companies can provide instant cover for well known models.


  • QuoteZone - Campervan & Motorhome Insurance specialists.  They compare multiple insurers to find you the cheapest quote.
  • Caravanwise - offers motorhome and campervan insurance for purpose built, branded campervans and for DIY self build motorhomes and camper vans
  • Sureterm Direct Campervan Insurance - Comparing insurance quotes for Campervans and Motorhomes from a panel of insurers. Obtain a free quote online or by calling on 0800 999 2030.

Home / DIY / Self Build Campervan Conversion Insurance

Insuring your campervan conversion used to be a difficult process.  But, thankfully, today, there are companies happy to insure vehicle that you have converted yourself. 


  • QuoteZone - They compare multiple insurers to find you the cheapest quote.
  • Shield Total Insurance - Specialists in DIY motorhome and campervan conversions.  They have a special policy that insures your vehicle during, and after your conversion.  See their rules here.
  • Adriun Flux - Specialists in DIY motorhome and campervan conversions.  They have a special policy that insures your vehicle during, and after your conversion.

Panel Vans (for DIY conversions)

If you are converting your own camper van, but haven't finished yet, you need to insure the vehicle as a panel van.  Once your conversion is complete, change your insurance to a camper van.

Important: If you have completed your own campervan conversion, you can, if you like, re-classified your vehicle as a camper van, and then get it insured as a camper van (see above).  You do not have to re-register your vehicle as a campervan.  It is possible to insure the vehicle as a campervan even if it's not re-registered with the DVLA.


  • QuoteZone - They compare multiple insurers to find you the cheapest quote.

Australian, New Zealand, South African, Canadian and American Drivers

If you are Australian, New Zealand, South African, Canadian or American and wish to get insurance to allow you to drive in the UK or Europe try

  • Downunder Campervan Insurance - Specialist in insuring non-residents to drive all vehicles, including campervans, motorhomes and vans across the world.


If you've got a caravan then try these recommended insurers:

  • QuoteZone - Compares leading caravan insurers to find you the cheapest deal.


Comments (74)

  • Eric15's picture

    Hi im a 21 year old male living in the republic of Ireland, ive had a full licence for 2 years and been a named driver on a car policy for those 2 years. Im thinking of buying a campervan but its turning out to be impossible to get insured on a camper even as a named driver with my father, who has never had a claim, as the primary driver. Im just wondering if you know of any other possible routes i could take or companies that would consider insuring me. Thanks!

    Jun 30, 2015
  • Pipes's picture

    Hi I hope you can help me,

    We are hoping to buy a Mazda Bongo to use mainly as a camper van and also a carry about van when necessary...
    I'm really struggling to get an idea of the difference in insurance prices if we bought:

    1. A fully converted camper Bongo ready to go
    2. A Bongo which has the power hook ups etc but we would need to install a working kitchen unit along the rear replacing the rear seats

    Is there a huge price hike in insurance premium if you do it yourself?

    Please can anybody give me a rough idea - I've tried getting in touch with Shield to ask them but no joy so far...

    Any help greatly received

    May 01, 2014
  • Darren's picture


    I insured an empty van for a year, then insured it as a DIY campervan after that.
    Price difference was very similar. Slightly cheaper as a campervan.
    I always recommend you actually speak to an insurance company though.
    Try or, both specialists in this area.

    May 03, 2014
  • Anonymous's picture

    Hi, I have bought a vw transporter from Ireland to England and want to import it and then convert it to a camper. I have been told I need to insure it before I can import it but my insurance company (and others) say they won't insure a vehicle before it's imported! Can you help? Also would it be easier if I converted it first? What exactly do I need for it to count as a campervan?
    Thankyou in advance!

    Aug 05, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    Here is info on converting a campervan with the DVLA:

    Who told you that you need to insure it to import it? I don't think that is correct.
    I think the correct process is to import it first, then insure it, then re-register is as a campervan.

    Aug 05, 2013
  • Ralph's picture

    My insurance company has asked for a garage to check the van and give me some sort of certificate ? has any body know what they mean it is all ready reg. as a motor home with the DVLA
    Thanks Ralph .

    May 18, 2013
  • Paul 1974's picture

    I'm hoping you can help

    I'm looking to buy a T2 campervan - the one that actually runs and need little or no restoring - but I'm unable to find out how much the insurance would cost me. All I wanted is a rough idea, to give me something to work with.

    I'm nearly 40 and in employment.


    Apr 27, 2013
  • Stella's picture

    I just got our insurance renweal and realised there was an error, in that it said there were 7 seats with seat belts, but actually there are 9 (inc driver). I told the insurers, and they said they can't renew the policy as they don't insure for more than 7 seats. We need six seats in the back to sit at for meals. (family of 6)
    I'm trying more companies - can anyone recommend one?
    Crazy thing is I've made sure there are seat belts which makes it safer, but is a problem for the insurers. Another company won't insure because there isn't a fixed gas supply, which clearly reduces risk. It's all a bit loony.

    Apr 04, 2013
  • Dan's picture

    Hi please can you help I've just passed my test I'm 30 and don't have a clue how much It would cost to get insured on a no frills camper van I'm looking to buy for around £5000 I no this will depend on the engine but I don't no much about that either yet to be honest hope you can help thanks Dan ( desperate!)

    Mar 04, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    Hi Dan
    Engine size doesn't make a massive difference with campervans. They are quite different to cars.
    If you have just passed your test I suspect you are going to be paying about £800 per year, as you have zero no claims.
    Why don't you get a quote from a broker for a vehicle similar to one you are thinking of buying.
    I use

    Mar 05, 2013
  • Joe 's picture


    firstly i'd just like to say that this website is fantastic and the information iv'e found on it is invaluable so thank you.

    but i'd like some advice or help if anyone can with the following issue

    I'm 25 and planning a trip across Europe in my self build campervan (ford transit swb - will eventually be re classified as a motor caravan) but i need insurance for that will start from July and i need to know a rough figure of how much this will cost for a policy that includes 365 days in EU

    ive spoken to lots of the companies listed above but some wont give me a quote until the conversion is finished and they can see pictures. which i get but i need to know a rough price so i can figure out expenses etc

    has anyone taken out a policy like this who is around my age that can give me just a ball park figure to work with???



    Jan 16, 2013
  • mytravelphotoblog's picture

    Hi, I'm trying to find an insurance company that will insure me for a year while I travel Europe. I can only find insurance to cover me for 6 months out of the UK to travel Europe. Has anyone traveled Europe for a year and where did you get your insurance from?

    Oct 20, 2012
  • john's picture

    Having just spoken to Campton insurance, the minute i mentioned full time living in a camper they told me they could not help in any way.Even to the extent of not being able to answer other questions i had , due to the fact i had asked about full time living first, i must add that the person i spoke to was very polite about it.

    Oct 23, 2012
  • Darren's picture

    That's a shame. It seems things have changed since I had that insurance policy.
    Have you tried Insurance Choice?

    Oct 24, 2012
  • Anonymous's picture

    Really struggling to find any insurance companies that will insure anyone under 25, im 20 myself and need this insurance asap, please help?!

    Jul 23, 2012
  • Anonymous's picture

    We were in the same boat - it was so hard to find insurance, and if we did it was mega expensive as we are only 23. BUT then we found Downunder insurance! They are great - specialise in insurance for overseas travelers like ourselves so covered everything we needed including europe and uk insurance and is much much cheaper than any uk insurance providers!

    Aug 31, 2012
  • Darren's picture

    They are a broker who know about lots of different policies. They might not be able to offer you something you haven't already found, but they're a good place to try.

    Jul 24, 2012


Leave a comment

User login