Campervan Community and Information
QuoteZone Camper Van Insurance

Legal Information, Requirements and Rules for Camper Vans DVLA

Update: July 2012 - The DVLA have reverted to their original policy regarding re-registering of campervans.  The vehicle does not need to have graphics on to be re-registered.  A well converted vehicle with windows is likely to be registered as a Motorcaravan, and not a van with side windows.

Update:  March 2011 - Many people applying to have vehicles re-registered as "Motor Caravans" with the DVLA are being refused, as their vehicle does "Not look like a motor caravan from the outside".  The DVLA are then re-classifying the vehicles as "Vans with windows".  Apparently this is a problem for the Police and other authorities, who cannot identify converted vehicles easily from the outside.  This page will be updated when new information is confirmed.

If you are converting a van to a campervan or motorhome then you need to consider whether you want to re-register the vehicle with your vehicle authority.

In the UK

In the UK you have the option of re-registering your van as a "motor caravan" with the DVLA.  It is not a requirement to re-register the vehicle.  You can continue to use the vehicle as a campervan, even if it is still registered as a "panel van", assuming you have adequate (i.e. campervan) insurance.

Why Re-register as a "Motor Caravan"?

Although you do not need to re-register a campervan conversion, here are the befeits of doing so

  1. Cheaper Insurance - Generally leisure vehicles such as campervans are cheaper to insure the panel vans.  This is because they generally have fewer claims, do fewer miles and are not used for commercial use.  Keep in mind that you can still get your self build insured as a campervan even if the vehicle is registered as a panel van.  Campervan insurance is generally 10% - 50% cheaper than van insurance.
  2. Contents Insurance - Vehicles registered as campervans generally have better contents insurance than panel vans.  This is because a campervan contains personal belongings such as mobile phone, laptops, jewellery, etc.  Whereas a panel van typically contains tools and parts for commercial use.
  3. Might be able to travel faster - Vans with an unladen weight of under 3050kg can travel at a maximum of 60mph on a dual carriageway.  But this increases to 70mph on a dual carriageway for vehicles registered as campervans.  All other speed limits remain the same.  Vehicles with a unladen weight over 3050kg (i.e. all 3500kg vans) have no change in speed limit when re-registering as a campervan.
  4. Cheaper MOT - Class VII vehicles (between 3000kg and 3500kg) registered as camper vans come under the cheaper and less restriction Class IV MOT rules.  When inspecting the vehicle the MOT tester has to test the vehicle "as it is presented".  So if a campervan is presented, that would normally be class VII, even if it is not re-registered as a campervan, the MOT tester should test is as class IV vehicle.
  5. Might get cheaper ferry prices - Travelling on a ferry is typically cheaper for a campervan or motorhome than a commercial van.  Most ferry companies look at a converted campervan and are happy for it to pay the cheaper campervan price.  However, a few ferry companies will use the DVLA log book classification to determine whether to price the vehicle as a commercial vehicle or not.

Change of Vehicle Classification

If you decide that you want to re-register your van as a campervan you should contact your local vehicle authority.  In the UK this is the DVLA.

Before doing this make sure you vehicle meets all of the criteria mentioned below.

What makes a 'Motor Caravan'?

For a vehicle to qualify as a 'Motor Caravan' in the UK in the eyes of the DVLA the following permanent fixtures must be present:

  1. Sleeping Accommodation
    • There must be a bed with a minimum length of 6ft or 180cms
    • The bed must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area
    • The bed must be permanent or converted from seats (the bed can fold away during the day)
    • The bed fixtures must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls, unless it is over the drivers cab compartment.
  2. Door
    • There must be a horizontal sliding door or an outward opening rear or side door.
  3. Seats and Tables
    • There must be a seating area for diners to sit around
    • The table can be fixed or detachable
    • The table must mount directly to the vehicle floor or side walls
    • The table mounting must be secured as a permanent feature, either bolted screwed or welded.  The table itself can be detachable.
    • Seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls
    • The seats must be secured as a permanent fixture, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
    • Permanently secured seating must be available for use at a table
  4. Water Container
    Note: DVLA do not state any requirements regarding water storage.  However, most insurance companies state that the water tank should be onboard, or under the chassis.  However, some insurance companies are happy with an external water container that can be moved, such as those used with a caravan.
    • The vehicle must have an onboard or external (e,g, under the chassis) water container
    • Note: The insurer Adrian Flux requires the water container to hold 6 gallons / 27 litres.
  5. Storage
    • The vehicle must have at least one cupboard, locker or wardrobe
    • The cupboard must be an integral part of the living accommodation area
    • The cupboard must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
    • The cupboard must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side walls
  6. Cooking
    • The vehicle must have cooking facilities powered by fixed gas, electric hob or microwave oven
    • The cooking facilities must be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
    • The cooking facilities must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
    • Gas and electric hobs must have a minimum or 2 cooking rings.  Microwave ovens must have a power source (don't just fit one that can't be used)
    • Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies must have the gas supply pipe permanently secured to the vehicle structure
    • Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies should have the gas bottle, fuel reservoir secured to the vehicle structure
  7. Outside
    • The vehicle must have at least one side window
    • New! Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside.  The details are yet unclear what is required.  More information will appear here when available.

How to Change a Vans Classification to Camper Van or Motorhome in the UK

In the UK, changing the classification of a van to a campervan or motorhome is fairly straightforward.  The following information is based on real experience, correct at the time of the re-classification.  This serves as a good guide, but please contact the DVLA and/or VOSA to confirm the rules regarding your vehicle.

  1. When your conversion is complete, and your van is now (nearly) a camper van or motorhome you need to contact the DVLA and inform them.
  2. You should change your V5C (log book) document and return it to them.  You need to change the vehicle body type to "Motor Caravan".  Motor Caravan is the term used by the DVLA for campervans and motorhomes. See the DirectGov website for details on changing your V5 document.
  3. You should also include a covering letter, briefly covering what you have done to the vehicle.  Also include photographs of your converted vehicle.  Dont include too many.  Between 10 and 20 are required.  Do ensure that you include the vehicles number plate in a shot of the front of the vehicle, and a shot of the back of the vehicle.  From the photos the DVLA can see if you have done a good conversion to the vehicle, or simply thrown a mattress in the back.
  4. Send the paperwork to:
    SA99 1BA
  5. If you have done a good conversion, and the DVLA are satisfied they will return a new V5 document to you, with the body type changed.
  6. However, if they are unsure of your conversion they will ask you to visit the local DVLA inspection office.  An agent will inspect the vehicle before recommending any change of documentation.
  7. The DVLA do not publish strict guidelines for the above.  However, The Department of Transport do publish a strict 'motor caravan' definition for vehicles that are being imported.  Click here, and scroll down to 'Motor caravan'.  It's likely the DVLA also use the same guidelines.  However, the strict definitions here are, it seems, open to some interpretation.

When to Change the Vehicle Classification

You should change the classification of your vehicle from 'Panel Van' to 'Motor Caravan' when your conversion is nearly complete, once the major fittings are in place (bed, kitchen) and it looks neat and tidy.  Once you think you satisfy all of the conditions mentioned above, contact the DVLA and start the re-classification process.

You don't want any vehicle inspectors to think it is not finished, so ensure it looks finished before you apply for the change.

Don't worry about finishing touches, you can always complete these once the vehicle is re-registered.


Once your vehicle has been officially re-classified by the DVLA, you will need to change your insurance.  Your original insurance will be for a 'Panel Van', and your vehicle is no longer one.  So you need to cancel your existing policy, and get a new policy for a Camper van.

The insurance page has information and links to websites that will help.

UK Vehicle Classes

In the UK small vans, less than 3500kg, are classified as Class 4 vehicles.  Vans between 3000kg and 3500kg are considered Class 7 vehicles.  Class 7 vehicles have stricter MOT tests.  Vehicles over 3500kg would normally go to a VOSA Test Centre.  A bus/mini-bus with more than 8 seats (up to 13) is a Class 5, unless the seats are removed and the vehicle is re-classified as a campervan, then it becomes Class 4.

However, if a Class 7 vehicle is registered for recreation purposes, it becomes a Class 4 vehicle.  Therefore, if you convert a Class 7 big panel van into a campervan or motorhome, changing it's classification to a recreation vehicle will make life easier and cheaper for you.

Also note that you should insure you vehicle based on its classification.  You cannot really insure a camper van as a panel van.  Should you have to make a claim the insurance company are unlikely to pay if your vehicle is wrongly classified.

Let us know about your re-classification experiences in the comments below

Share this post

Comments (346)

  • Darren's picture

    The guidelines at the top of this page do have a strong suggestion of requiring a cooker.
    It is not necessary to re-register a vehicle as a campervan.
    Mine is still only registered as a van, and I have complete campervan insurance via

    Mar 28, 2013
  • Nick Trunks's picture

    Hi im buying a 15 year old Mercedes 711d 22 seat bus from my work and am planing to convert it into a 8 seat camper. But due to it's weight (3900kg) I can only drive it on my psv licence, so want it registered mot'd and taxed as a bus. Insurance is a nightmare any help would be greatly appreciated. .... Cheers Nick.

    Mar 31, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    To keep it as a bus I think you need to keep at least 8 seats?

    Apr 02, 2013
  • olly's picture

    is one side window enough to satisfy the dvla that my conversion is now a motor home?? does this need to be an opening one or can it be just a regular old window.

    had the van converted for 5 years and never really needed window in the back as we normally have door open, plus tailgait has window, however on finding out that i can go over the severn bridge for half the price, i have been spurred on to get the v5 changed!!

    Apr 06, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    Yes, once side window is enough. It dones't need to open.

    Apr 08, 2013
  • Anonymous's picture

    Thank for the info.

    Apr 09, 2013
  • olly's picture

    hello, me again!
    so i have found some windows, now just wondering about gas bottle arrangement.
    it is currently inside the vehicle down near the back door and "secured" in plaace with a luggage strap that is attached to wall.
    no container or special structure, it doesnt move, but im guessing its not quite enough to satisfy

    "Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies should have the gas bottle, fuel reservoir secured to the vehicle structure"

    does anyone have any experience/knowledge of what i would need for a v5 chnge?
    cheers olly
    (gas can is only smallish on 21cm diameter 27cm height)

    Apr 11, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    I think you should have the ga bottles inside a cupboard, and strapped securely to a strong structure.
    Ideally you would have a drop out hole there as well, that wold allow any leaked gas to flow outside, although I don't think the DVLA will insist on this.

    Apr 12, 2013
  • Margi's picture

    Re the post about a gas vent. I believe it is a legal requirement, but even if it is not, without one you risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Gas is heavier than air, so the vent must be in the floor and will safely allow any leaks to escape. It is the one part of the conversion that you really should get a qualifies professional to do for your own safety.

    Oct 09, 2013
  • David C's picture

    It mentions registered motorcaravans can travel at 70 on duel carriageways. What highway code reg is this in reference to as I can't find it anywhere? Thanks, David

    Apr 19, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    Check how your vehicles is registered. Vans as 'goods vehicles', motorhomes and campervans are not, and fall under the 'car or vehicles' section.

    See this Gov website for details, but sadly they don't reference motorhomes or campervans. The important distinction is goods vehicles, which a motorhome or camper is not.

    Apr 20, 2013
  • David C's picture

    Found the legislation after a morning hunting for it.....

    Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - Schedule 6 Part I -
    "A passenger vehicle, motor caravan or dual-purpose vehicle not drawing a trailer being a vehicle with an unladen weight exceeding 3·05 tonnes or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers:
    (i) if not exceeding 12 metres in overall length

    70 mph Motorway

    60 mph Dual carriageway road not being a motorway

    50 mph Other road"

    Assuming that vehicles under 3050 kgs are not restricted.

    Apr 22, 2013
  • David C's picture

    Hi, this is a copy of the letter I presented to the DVLA in March 2013 and a few weeks later my new form came back with it re classified as a Motor Caravan. Good luck to all changing your vans - Mine was a SWB Vivaro - windows in side and rear :o)

    "Your address


    SA99 1BA

    Dear Sirs,

    I am writing to request that my vehicle, registration number XXXXXXX, is reclassified as a “Motor Caravan”. I am aware of your requirements for the vehicle to fit into the classification of “Motor Caravan”.

    Please find a series of photographs enclosed showing details of the vehicle.

    1. Front of Motor Caravan showing registration plate.
    2. Rear of Motor Caravan again showing registration plate.
    3. Interior detail showing seats and table in upright position. Please note the table bracket is permanently and securely fixed to the vehicle body.
    4. Bed in sleeping position. Please note that this is made up from seat cushions used for seating during the day. The key elements of the bed base are permanently and securely fixed to the body of the vehicle. The bed is XX’ long.
    5. Cooking facilities. The double hob cooker is fuelled by gas and the piping is permanently fixed to the vehicle.
    6. Storage cupboards.

    Fresh water is stored in a jerrican under the sink

    I enclose my V5C document with section 7 “Changes to Current Vehicle” completed.

    I trust that the enclosed photographs provide you with sufficient evidence to make the amendment to Body Type classification. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

    Yours faithfully,


    enc. V5C, Photographs of the vehicle"

    Apr 22, 2013
  • Anthony 's picture

    Hi, david did you have to provide any recipts or bills or proof of where the conversion had been done, or were the photos enough to satisfy DVLA,And did you have to fill anything in on the V5

    Aug 20, 2013
  • David C's picture

    Sorry for the late reply - just looking at other posts and noticed this. No receipts asked for. I took a comprehensive selection of photos to prove all the requirements had been met. The DVLA even sent the pictures back to me once the application had been approved.

    Oct 24, 2013
  • mark taylor's picture

    Just to share I have a Sportshome that conforms to requirements . I had it re-registered as Motor Caravan . However in my business I carry puppet shows as goods of my trade, no hire or reward. I am in the same situation as a professional Motor cross rider or business taking their goods in a camper to a trade show. The definition of motorcaravan does not allow any space for goods. So I have had to insure as on a commercial policy and inform of the conversion.Ther would have been a issue if it was a selfbiuld. This was with the NFU and was cheaper than my motorcaravn policy so no problems . However you should be aware that if you mix carrying goods in your motor caravan then it is a commercial vehicle in terms of law. You need your insurance company to be aware and commercial restrictions apply such as lower speed limits.I recently had the misfortune to get a ticket as there is no unladen actual vehicle weight of less than 3050kg on my V5, just a gross vehicle weight of 3,5 tons . Sprinter. I had to send in the motorcaravan V5 and a weight bridge ticket of less than 3050kg to have the ticket dropped. However if they knew I had Goods in the back the ticket would have stood.

    I must say I was concerned that my motorcaravan insurance with business use might not have been good for a commercial vehicle but was hesitant to change on the grounds of cost. After the ticket I did and it was cheaper as a commercial so it is often fear of regulation that stops action rather than actual facts.

    Apr 27, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    Some great information there, thanks for sharing. Interesting info on the carrying of goods.

    Apr 29, 2013
  • john grant's picture

    i only read the top, you can insure you vehicle as service vehicle

    May 07, 2013
  • Stellar's picture

    I had a similar situation, as I had personal belongings I was selling at a bootsale.
    This I was told was commercial use and would have problems with insurance
    So new plan: kept sprinter as a motorhome and towed a box trailer!
    Dam I'm clever! Had to insure the box trailer separately £90 a year! But that covered goods in carriage.
    Personally I think these rules are pathetic. I'm not running a business
    But treated like 1. Next they be classing sales of my personal belongings as income.

    Dec 31, 2013
  • Crizco's picture

    I have a professional conversion 3.5 tonne motor home that when the registration was changed, it was registered as a two seater.
    Only has two front facing seats, both have seat belts.

    Can I somehow get the vehicle registered to take three people?

    Also a gotcha, the third seat will be an electric wheelchair, so I will need to get bolts for this to clamp to the floor. But the chair does have an inbuilt seat belt (yay).


    May 04, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    This is an unusual situation. I think the important factor here is insurance. I would contact your insurance company first and understand their requirements for this. That could be the biggest issue.

    May 07, 2013
  • Anonymous's picture

    Hi there, if I buy a panel van long wheel base, cut the back of an remove the van back, sit my caravan on it and attach to the front open between cab and caravan, bolt the van to the classy is this legal a mobilehome?

    May 11, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    It's worth contacting the DVLA to get better clarification. I would imagine they would re-classify the vehicle as a Motorcaravan.

    May 16, 2013
  • Moya Taylor's picture


    We are just about to reclassify our Dennis Dart 52 single decker bus to a motor home. Have found loads of useful info about panel van conversions, but not actual buses. Do you know if the proceedure is the same?

    May 27, 2013
  • Moya Taylor's picture

    I sent of the info to the DVLA including 20 pictures and used the template letter on this sit.

    Reply came back quickly. It has been classified as a specially fitted Van which means I can drive it as it is under 7.5 tonnes. The body shape is still 'Bus' but having spoken to the people at VOSA due the the fact it only has 5 seats and the use of the vechicle is only requires a class 4 MOT certificate. Not many garages that do class 4 have a big enough ramp/pit so try contacting a local Motorhome specialist to see who they recommend.

    Jul 26, 2013
  • Anonymous's picture

    Hello. I am converting a lorry into a motorhome. I ned to find out some information on what windows and glass I am able to use. Can any windows as long as they are mounted in rubber be used? and what size. Are house windows possible? Thanks

    Jun 25, 2013
  • Eric's picture

    Thank you for a great deal of useful info.
    I am in the final stages of buying an ex NHS patient transport
    ambulance.A Renault master 2.5 diesel.In reality it is an eleven seater (mini bus type) including driver's position,
    Having noted the criteria to re-register as a motor home once converted, i have a question ?
    The log book states it is an ambulance and exempt from tax, obviously when i buy it, this will be incorrect and will need taxing. As i want to keep it on the road during conversion. Can i tax it and use it as a private vehicle ? i was thinking of removing the excess seating as per my plan for conversion so it would become a seven seater maximum. Would this enable me to keep it on the road during the conversion ? What vehicle class would this be in then ? Thank you.

    Jun 28, 2013
  • Joanne Crompton's picture

    Hi there!
    Please can you let me know if you have any confirmed info more to date than 2012 re the above.
    I have been advised to speak to DVLA re whether it is still necessary to fit a window into the back, and they said it wasn't 'in their remit' and to speak to VCA,
    they said it wasn't 'in their remit' and to speak to VOSA,
    they then said it wasn't 'in their remit' and to speak to International Vehicle Standards
    and they directed me back to DVLA! :-(
    So as you can see I have done full circle and am none the wiser!
    Please can you direct me to the correct up to date info on the internet at all?
    Many thanks,
    Jo :-) .... Hope you're having a lovely summer!!!

    Aug 28, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    Hi Jo

    It is the DVLA who would hold the records, and how have to update the records should the vehicle change.
    It has always been the DVLA who inspect the vehicle if necessary.
    Having a side window is almost certainly required, as otherwise the vehicle is just a van.

    Aug 28, 2013
  • shaun's picture

    hi Darren new to this I have a 2007 07 LDV Maxus lwb hi-roof and have been reading some of the post but unsure about the seats in the rear now I am wanting to put 2 3 seater seats one over each wheel arch so they will be facing each other and they will have 3 point seat belts on the 2 outer seats and the centre has a lap belt (the lap belts might never even get used)and these 2 bench seats will make in to a full size bed pulled together.
    now in some posts it says they have to be forward facing do you know what is right

    Nov 14, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    Hi Shaun

    As far as I am aware seats can be side-facing. They do not require seat belts:

    However, they are considered unsafe, but not a problem if you want actually use them when travelling.

    Perhaps they will be a little high if mounted over the wheel arch?

    Nov 15, 2013
  • Les Welch's picture

    Hi finding this site very informative, I have a question re electrics, I have bought van conversion and the electrics are in need of upgrading ( previous owner used household flex on hookup point on van rather than heavier core wiring,) also need a leisure battery wiring in for lights anyone know of a company in east Cheshire that I could use.???? and do I need to have the work certificated when finished???

    Sep 15, 2013
  • pixie's picture

    Does the bed really have to be at least 6 foot long to qualify for a motor caravan with the DVLA?

    I'm 5'1" tall, and was going to put a bed across the width of the van I just bought. it's 169cm across, which is plenty long enough for me to be comfortable. It's not a big van, so it seems silly to have to 20cm extra of bed that's surplus to requirements.

    Dec 21, 2013
  • Darren's picture

    It's extremely unlikely that anyone from the DVLA will measure the bed length.
    So you are probable fine to make it smaller. However, just be mindful that the guidelines do say 6 foot.

    Jan 04, 2014
  • Anonymous's picture

    this is the reply straight from the dvla on what requirements you need for converting to motor caravan, they mention nothing bout a door or window... interesting

    The vehicle is required to display the following characteristics in order to meet the interpretation of “Motor Caravan”:-

    Seats and a Table

    integral part of vehicle living accommodation area, (mounted independently of other items)
    table capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
    table mounting arrangement secured is a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded) although table may be detachable
    seats secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side-wall
    seats secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
    Sleeping Accommodation

    integral part of vehicle living accommodation area
    either beds or beds converted from seats (to form a mattress)
    secured as a permanent feature, (with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall, (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)
    Cooking Facilities

    integral part of vehicle living accommodation, (mounted independently of other items)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
    secured as a permanent feature, (bodied, riveted, screwed or welded)
    minimum of two ring cooking facility or microwave equipped in either case with fuel/power source
    Storage Facilities

    cupboard / Locker
    integral part of vehicle living accommodation (mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooker)
    secured as a permanent feature (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded)
    secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall (unless provision over driver’s cab compartment)

    I hope that this information has clarified matters for you.

    Jan 30, 2014
  • Ian Holt aka bigholty's picture

    Hi there , i have a mk7 transit that im going to convert using temporary units to slide in for weekend stays , now as its my work van , has steel bulkhead and no windows , can i use it as a day / weekender van, the van wont be modified ,but carry units they will drop in and lock in position , it will have a unit containing a 2 ring cooker /grill , small sink , hot /cold running water , and a 12/240 volt gas fridge These will be fitted across the rear tailgate of the van a 3 seater seat converting to 2 person pull out bed , NONE of this is a permanent fixture but will securely fitted using the tie down hoops built in to the floor as im only carrying this and it is NOT "fixed" to the van am i doing anything wrong ....i am not going to mention to the insurance company as it will end in tears that it has been modified ..the seats in the back will not carry any one whilst the van is being driven , im not wanting to reclassify, or alter the registration of the van. BUT am i breaking any laws in the event of an accident , im a plumber by trade so having a gas bottle in the van is covered, but is sleeping in the van changing its usage ?? maybe 8 long weekends a year and lots of day trips in its " day van " guise ..

    Feb 12, 2014
  • Darren's picture


    I don't believe you are breaking the law.
    As you say when driving you are simply carrying the contents of your van. Make sure it's secure and you'll be fine.
    If you sleep in the vehicle when on private land, that is entirely between you and the land owner, and no business of the DVLA or Police.
    Camping on public property or a highway is a grey area and best avoided.

    I don't think you would get insurance to cover this use of the van, so ensuring you are carrying the contents should be fine.

    Feb 13, 2014
  • Gavin Van's picture

    Hi I have recently bought a Mercedes sprinter which is fir use as a camper and day van. The van has a three person bench seat and a fold down bed which a matress goes into also is a pull out hammock style bed with secure fixings.The back of the van is separate to sleeping area and has a worktop / workbench with portable two hob and grill gas cooker fixed securely and bottle secured below. There is storage built in over arches. Also within driving sleeping area is storage above driver. A leiaure battery an wind out awning are fitted and also a sink fitted in back in bench. Is this possible to register as a camper? Do I need to ? Will it be cheaper to insure? Thanks in advance

    Feb 20, 2014
  • Darren's picture

    Hi Gavin

    You don't need to register a vehicle as a campervan to insure it as a campervan. My own van is like this.

    However, to insure the vehicle as a camper the insurance company typically ask for several things to be in place. This includes a double bed, side windows, and a water storage tank. The insurance company normally sends you a form and you get a local motorhome dealer to confirm the details and sign the form.

    Insuring a vehicle as a camper is typically cheaper than a van.

    Feb 21, 2014
  • mablake's picture

    Hi, I have just completed my conversion (lwb maxi roof vauxhall movano). This is now a four berth campervan. Having read all the dvla requirements for reclassification, the only thing she falls down on is having a permanent mounting for the table. The table is a folding table from a caravan. When not in use it is stowed away on the rear door, using swivel brackets. When in use, I just lift it down, unfold the legs and put it in between the two rear benches. Is the dlva likely to be so pernicketty about such a small issue?

    Feb 22, 2014
  • Simon Steele's picture

    i have bought a van it was a Ex MOD ldv maxus , it was de-registerd and has no reg plates. At the moment is on my driveway and i am halfway through the conversion, i have been reading the requirements for re registering and i understand that i must send pictures of the conversion including clear photos of the registration plate to show the vehical in question , i cant find any way to register it as a camper van without the plates ! would i have to re register in as a panal van again to get some plates or is there aother way round this

    Mar 08, 2014
  • Darren's picture

    Hi Simon

    I highly recommend that you contact your local DVLA office. They will tell you the best course of action to take.

    Mar 08, 2014
  • Just me's picture

    I have a question... Someone I know bought a 1981 VW campervan some years a go he then bought a 1972 VW panel van that was in a very bad state and switched all the information over including the VIN plate, he then set about making the camper look like a 1972 model by changing the position of the lights etc followed by respraying it, I reported this matter to the police but they didn't do anything at all as far as I can tell even though I told them he had lots of pictures on his PC of the donor van and that the original engine was in his garage. Well its now a few years later and he has decided to sell it in the spring to some poor unsuspecting person who thinks they will get a genuine 1972 VW camper. I have tried as I said to get the police involved and stop this which was a while back but I just wondered if anyone else had any advice as to what I can do to stop this fraud

    Mar 11, 2014
  • Darren's picture

    Blimey. It's a shame the police aren't more interested.
    How about contacting the DVLA? They are responsible for the licensing of vehicles and might be more interested in the incorrect registration of a vehicle?

    Mar 11, 2014
  • Just me's picture

    Thanks for the reply Daren I will give that a try, I also reported it to Crimestoppers yesterday so lets see if they do anything?

    Mar 12, 2014


Leave a comment

Insurance Choice
Shield Total Insurance
Adrian Flux
Chapel Motorhome Conversions
Vanguard Conversions

User login